cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News : NHS plan to achieve earlier cancer diagnosis and save lives

Anonymous
Not applicable

Headline : NHS plan to achieve earlier cancer diagnosis and save lives.

Excerpt from the Link " Patients are to be given the option to refer themselves for cancer tests, as part of an NHS England bid to diagnose an extra 10% of people early.

It said it would start testing new ways of speeding up diagnosis, including offering patients the option to book appointments directly with a hospital or testing unit ahead of seeing a GP. "

My Thoughts :

For me personally after losing both parents to cancer anything that is implemented is a fantastic positive move. I know other threads have been created before connected to this disease and others, but I just wanted to highlight this recent news story with it being close to my heart. 

Source : BBC News.

Read more here : NHS plan to achieve earlier cancer diagnosis and save lives

image courtesy of Google. 

image.jpg

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry about your parents @Anonymous .  Improvements in diagnosis can only be good news.  However I hope that the diagnosis is then followed by prompt treatment.  My aunt has been diagnosed with cancer for the second time and was due to have an operation on Friday but it was cancelled due to the ongoing problems with the NHS.  She doesn't have a new date and I think it's appalling that cancer operations are being delayed when it's a matter of life and death.

I'm not criticising those at the sharp end in the NHS as I know the doctor and nurses do a fantastic job - I had excellent treatment when I was ill last year as did my husband the year before. 

Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

Thank you for your kind words and I hope your Auntie is looked after asap. 

I tip my hat to the people in the labs working tirelessly conducting research to the frontline nurses, Dr's and clinical support staff ,to the people who give their time to fund raise etc.

Early diagnosis has to be one of the keys to help people and then yes I agree the treatment has to be as fast as possible. 

Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks BoB.  My earlier post sounds like a rant - apologies for that, it wasn't intentional!

I hope that one day everyone who is diagnosed with cancer can survive.  Unfortunately I don't think it will be in my lifetime but hopefully in the future.

Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 123036 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Oh I agree totally @Anonymous  I am always welcoming innovations in the NHS...It is how we move forward and improve the service.

My only concern about this news is a worry whether it will ever get funded?

The initiative is absolutely superb and long awaited...however the NHS is being brought to its knees this winter and it has only just begun

Our hospitals are struggling to cope with the influx of so many patients with the limited funding available to meet their needs.

Accident and Emergency depts are declaring major disaster status. This isn't due to them having a major disaster to go and deal with...Its a major disaster purely because they are unable to cope.

The government needs to plow more money into the NHS. We can not move forward and develop when our basic services are failing so badly......

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123036 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Apologies...my first post was in response to your first post Tracey....I am just a bit slow at typing :smileysad:...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks BoB.  My earlier post sounds like a rant - apologies for that, it wasn't intentional!

I hope that one day everyone who is diagnosed with cancer can survive.  Unfortunately I don't think it will be in my lifetime but hopefully in the future.

Hi @Anonymous 

I didn't read your post as a rant 😄

I read it as coming from a concerned person in regards to their family member. 

I concur regarding our hope for survival rates of this dreadful disease. 

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Source : BBC News. 

Cuts to cancer treatments announced

Excerpt from the Link " Twenty-five different cancer treatments will no longer be funded by the NHS in England, health chiefs have announced."

My thoughts. 

Not so positive recent News.  😔

Message 8 of 8