cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung regains smartphone sales crown from Apple

Anonymous
Not applicable

Below is an article that I've taken from CNET, just to make our Android army proud!

Any thoughts?

Samsung Electronics has recaptured its title as the world's top smartphone maker, according to new research released Tuesday.

The South Korean electronics giant shipped 83.2 million smartphones worldwide during the first quarter of 2015, capturing 24 percent of the smartphone market, according to market researcher Strategy Analytics. While that's a decrease from its 31 percent marketshare a year ago, it still bests the 17.7 percent marketshare Apple recorded with 61.2 million units shipped during the quarter. The iPhone maker's market share expanded on the 15.3 percent it commanded a year ago but shrank from the 19.6 percent it captured in the fourth quarter of 2014, according to Strategy Analytics.

Samsung continued to face challenges in Asia and elsewhere, but its global performance has stabilized sufficiently well this quarter to overtake Apple and recapture first position as the world's largest smartphone vendor by volume," Neil Mawston, executive director at Strategy Analytics, said in a statement.

The results reverse the sales positions that the world's largest smartphone makers landed in last quarter. According to Gartner research published last month, the iPhone 6's popularity helped Apple pass Samsung to become the world's biggest smartphone maker in the fourth quarter

Apple sold 74.8 million iPhones during the fourth quarter of 2014 to achieve its best quarter ever and give it a 20.4 percent share of worldwide smartphone sales, Gartner reported. Over the same period, Samsung's share of the smartphone market, on sales of 73 million units, plummeted to 19.9 percent from 29.5 percent.

Samsung's return to the smartphone throne in the first quarter came despite its IT and mobile business recording a 57 percent year-over-year drop in operating profits during its first quarter. Samsung doesn't disclose its smartphone sales figures, but analysts had estimated Samsung shipped 82 million smartphones for the period, down from the 89 million a year earlier, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Strategy Analytics' results do not include sales of the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, which hit the market earlier this month. Samsung has predicted record sales for Galaxy S6 devices and says it's selling the phones faster than it came make them.

Strategy Analytics' research showed that the smartphone game is still solidly a two-horse race. The Lenovo-Motorola tieup, which was finalized in October, registered a distant third with a 5.4 percent share of the market on shipments of 18.8 million units. Close behind Lenovo was Huawei, with 5 percent market share on 17.3 million units shipped.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Not really surprised. slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

As part of the loyal Android Army I am pleased that quality has scored over an expensive fashion accessory wink (Oh hark at me) LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 18

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I much rather be happy than correct all of the time.

Bow

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 5 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@anticpated wrote:

I much rather be happy than correct all of the time.

Bow

I wouldn't know how to be correct all of the time. I have never mastered that skill LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 18

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

All the cool guys are inuit.

Message 7 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@anticpated wrote:

All the cool guys are inuit.

LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 18

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

How do you convince someone that they aren't right all the time? Suppose it's a mindset thing.....Thinking

Message 9 of 18

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Beats me and I've never been wrong about that.

Message 10 of 18