Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music Streaming Services

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

They've come a long way since Spotify was launched nearly 9 years ago, and I think it's fair to say they've transformed both the way we consume music and also the music industry as a whole. 

For a long time there was only really Spotify, and their offering was limited at best, however now they've been joined by Amazon, Apple, Napster (in a legal form!) and Tidal amongst many others.

Pricing has remained incredibly keen, with most offering a "premium" service for around the price of 1 album, and many even offer a way to listen for free so long as you don't mind a few adverts. Then there are the Family Plan options, allowing multiple members of a household to benefit from a greatly reduced cost - as low as £2.50 per person for unlimited music streaming, that's cheaper than a handful of songs on the pub jukebox!

The question is, do you stream your music? And if so, which service do you use and why? Is there a "best" service out there, or is it a case of different services suiting different people/scenario's? Maybe there's not much to choose between them at all.

For me, I've been a Spotify user pretty much since it launched here in the UK. Back in the day I only really used it on my PC in work, however that quickly changed to my mobile - which I now use when working, in the car and also when out and about on foot. I've also recently paired my account with Amazon's Echo, so that I have instant access at home without having to use my phone or tablet to play via a separate bluetooth speaker.

It was this recent development which got me thinking about the options, as Amazon of course offer their own music services - I can access Prime Music as I'm a Prime member anyway, and they were quick to try and sell me an "Echo" subscription to the Music Unlimited service for just £3.99 per month which sounds like an absolute bargain, although not much use to me as I use extensively on my phone as well.

Seriosuly thinking about upgrading to a family plan offering, either via Spotify or Amazon, so that the family can benefit too - part of the reason for me posting this, as I'm wondering which way to go and looking for any obvious advantage to one over the other, as the cost is the same. I know that with Amazon I could ask Alexa to play a song based on it's lyrics, but then is that really something I'm ever going to use - and if so, why would I not just ask Alexa to Google the title for me instead?

Thoughts?

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12070 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
I'll have another look through the stick to see what else is on there.
Never listened to much of the Who (I know, sacrilege - put it down to age) but might give them a go...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 21 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

let me know what you think about Boyce Avenue slight_smile 

Message 22 of 51

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

let me know what you think about Boyce Avenue slight_smile 

Yes I certainly will ☺️

Message 23 of 51

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
I'll have another look through the stick to see what else is on there.
Never listened to much of the Who (I know, sacrilege - put it down to age) but might give them a go...

Never listened much to the Who? Certainly sacrilege @gmarkj Shocked

Talking about it being an age thing...My husband and I have followed them since the 60's. Our two sons think they are brilliant...AND the grandson now has them on his playlist.... Now there's a wide range of ages to approve of one group....Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 51

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

My boys had The Who blaring loudly throughout their childhood whether they liked it or not. Parents have a big influence on what their kids listen to. Of course all that changes in their teen years with school and later nightclubs. But my boys still listen to The Who on occasion.... though they tend to do it when their mates aren't around.... 

Message 25 of 51

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Never listened to The Who?? What?? Haha

You're absolutely spot on about parent's musical taste having a huge influence however - my Mum is a massive Beatles fan, and they've been one of my favourite groups since a very young age. She's also a huge Meat Loaf fan, and yep you've guessed it I've seen him live a few times myself now too.

My musical tastes are hugely varied, far wider than my parents, but there's very little they like that I don't. 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 26 of 51

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Sometimes your kids musical tastes have an influence on us as well. My lads have always loved the Prodigy.

Guess what?..so do I Smiley Very Happy...In fact I paid for us all to go and see them in Birmingham 2 years ago. I must have been the oldest one there...but the lads were mightily impressed that their Mum was the first to get served at the bar...and got us right down to the front of the stage (Oh my ears) .

I didn't get involved in the 'moshing' though....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

how can someone not of listened to the Who!!! pffffft lol..... a really good band if you want to have a bit of a head **** is the Meteors!! grin grin 

Message 28 of 51

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12070 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Music wasn't prolific when I was growing up, so not many bands/influences were introduced.
The only one really is/was crowded house. Still listen to one of their albums now and again.
Just finished playing was Daft Punk, and next to go on will be Coldplay.
On the same stick are bands already mentioned (Catfish and Bastille) and lots of others.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 29 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jiimy eats world is anouther good band, i saw them at the Reading and leeds festival this year! very good band 

Message 30 of 51