Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music Streaming Services

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

They've come a long way since Spotify was launched nearly 9 years ago, and I think it's fair to say they've transformed both the way we consume music and also the music industry as a whole. 

For a long time there was only really Spotify, and their offering was limited at best, however now they've been joined by Amazon, Apple, Napster (in a legal form!) and Tidal amongst many others.

Pricing has remained incredibly keen, with most offering a "premium" service for around the price of 1 album, and many even offer a way to listen for free so long as you don't mind a few adverts. Then there are the Family Plan options, allowing multiple members of a household to benefit from a greatly reduced cost - as low as £2.50 per person for unlimited music streaming, that's cheaper than a handful of songs on the pub jukebox!

The question is, do you stream your music? And if so, which service do you use and why? Is there a "best" service out there, or is it a case of different services suiting different people/scenario's? Maybe there's not much to choose between them at all.

For me, I've been a Spotify user pretty much since it launched here in the UK. Back in the day I only really used it on my PC in work, however that quickly changed to my mobile - which I now use when working, in the car and also when out and about on foot. I've also recently paired my account with Amazon's Echo, so that I have instant access at home without having to use my phone or tablet to play via a separate bluetooth speaker.

It was this recent development which got me thinking about the options, as Amazon of course offer their own music services - I can access Prime Music as I'm a Prime member anyway, and they were quick to try and sell me an "Echo" subscription to the Music Unlimited service for just £3.99 per month which sounds like an absolute bargain, although not much use to me as I use extensively on my phone as well.

Seriosuly thinking about upgrading to a family plan offering, either via Spotify or Amazon, so that the family can benefit too - part of the reason for me posting this, as I'm wondering which way to go and looking for any obvious advantage to one over the other, as the cost is the same. I know that with Amazon I could ask Alexa to play a song based on it's lyrics, but then is that really something I'm ever going to use - and if so, why would I not just ask Alexa to Google the title for me instead?

Thoughts?

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Music was a topic of discussion this morning actually. I love F1 and watch it on Sky...usually record Channel 4 (Obviously obsessed as you can see). . Now as Ch4 bought it from BBC1, it came with the iconic Chains by Fleetwood Mac. Sky can't use that and play Just Drive....(not at all impressed).

So apparently Harry Styles (yes him from One Direction) has recorded Chains in the Live Lounge. Have to say (reluctantly) he didn't do a bad job of it...though he had a good band backing him...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

sky f1 channel do however sometimes play some real beautiful credits music such as Nick Mulvey "fever to the form" 

Message 32 of 51

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Sometimes music is synonymous with sport and instantly recognisable. Mind you, you could say that with most tv programs and the music is often better than the program. 

Message 33 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

bit like eastenders lol 

Message 34 of 51

Wa10
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

@Anonymous thanks for mentioning Boyce Avenue! Hands up, I'd not come across them previously, however gave them a listen last night and was quite taken by their smooth, calming tone.  Lots of covers more than their own original work, but a lot of the covers are far better than the originals so no complaints from me!

They're actually playing at the Albert Hall in Manchester in a few weeks time, so I may try to get there as there's no better way to properly discover a new group than the fully immersive live experience.

If you've not already @jonsie, make sure you give them a listen. slight_smile

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 35 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wa10 yeah i saw that, they are also playing in London but looks almost sold out! yes they are an excellent band and a lot of covers but as you said so smooth and so so relaxing!! 

Message 36 of 51

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
I listened to a couple of tracks last night and yes, they are very good. Never heard of them before and it's always good to discover a band you enjoy. I won't get to the Albert Hall though....
Message 37 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie @Wa10 check out London Grammer, they are out of this world!! 

Message 38 of 51

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Wa10
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Sod it, have gone for it and will give them a go! Only half hour away from work too slight_smile Hopefully you'll be able to get out and about again soon @jonsie. I know you mentioned flowers aren't allowed, but I'd be happy to pop in with a pint for you whilst I'm in Manchester if you like? beers Just don't tell your nurses, haha! 

Boyce.JPG

Agreed @Anonymous they are a great listen too, some quality talent around at the moment for the first time in quite a few years. 

Message 40 of 51