Did you mean: 

Movies in January - 2020!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

It's time for the first movie discussion of 2020! Last month we talked about our favourite non traditional Christmas movies! 

I only caught one film over the Christmas period which was the HellBoy remake. It was entertaining but I definitely prefer the Ron Perlman version. 

Moving on to January there are some interesting things coming to the cinema during the month. Bad Boys for Life is the latest installment in the Bad Boys franchise and sees Will Smith and Martin Lawrence reprise their roles in a fun buddy cop movie. 

Popcorn

Underwater is a new action horror film that follows the crew of a deep sea research station that is devastated by an earthquake. I'm getting some Alien/Event Horizon vibes from the trailer and will definitely be catching this one at the cinema.

Sticking with horror the next film is a remake of The Grudge which deals with a vengeful ghost haunting a house where a young family were killed.

If you fancy something a bit more light hearted then Dolitte is the film for you this month! Robert Downey Jr stars as the famous Doctor that can converse with animals. 

Gretel And Hansel looks like a darker take on the classic fairy tale where 2 children are lured into a gingerbread house by a cannibal witch! 

So, what are you're movie plans for January? Have you seen anything recently you'd like to recommend to the community? Don't forget streaming services or any old classics you might have recently watched. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Bad Boys and Underwater stand out for me and I'm hoping to check those out sooner rather than later.

Message 2 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Not really seen anything at the cinema since Endgame.
Should have made more of an effort to see Rise of Skywalker but didn't.
Bad Boys and Underwater are ones I have seen trailers for.
Not sure on Birds of Prey. Could go either way. And not sure when it is out...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@jonsie Both of those are on my watch list for sure! 

I wasn't overly fussed about seeing Rise of Skywalker at the cinema @gmarkj. I was a bit disappointed with the last film so happy to wait for it to hit the streaming services. Birds of Prey looks interesting though! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 10

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Remake of the Grudge? I'm in!

I kind of hate horror movies... and love them at the same time. After watching one I feel uneasy going to bed and being in the dark for at least a week. 👀

Do you guys like horror movies at all?

Message 5 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Yes I do @Marjo . Though like you, I have the heebie jeebies for about a week. Fear

Same with real horror books!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 10

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Yes I do @Marjo . Though like you, I have the heebie jeebies for about a week. Fear

Same with real horror books!!

Glad it's not just me @Cleoriff  grin

I had the same when I was reading Stephen King books as a child. Fear I haven't read horror books in many years although the temptation is there! If you have any creepy ones to suggest though, please do. grin

Message 7 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Marjo 

Stephen King has released a new one called Dr Sleep. It's a follow on from the Shining (with Danny Torrance the child) grown up. That was great.

Another one ....The Institute by King. Also excellent.

If you like psychological thrillers then I really should recommend The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides. What a brilliant book with a twist at the end that you never see coming!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
What sort of horror are you after @Marjo?
I read a lot of post apocalypse style - a bit Stephen King The Stand only more zombie/viral outbreak.
A good couple I have read recently are Insects by John Koloen and The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone.
Those are not zombie/apocalypse, but if you like those I have a few I can share.
Try signing up to BookBub. They email you daily with Kindle books that are in genres you choose or by authors you like that are on offer (reduced price or free for a limited time).

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I never read horrors or watch  any horror movies at all. They just don't appeal to me

Maybe it's being an only child who was home alone most nights. I remember getting up once my parents went out to the pub and watching the likes of Quatermass and Sherlock Holmes and having nightmares. Even Dr Who freaked me out when it first started!

Message 10 of 10