Did you mean: 

Movies in April 2021

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

With the UK lockdown slowly coming to an end UK cinemas are planning to reopen in May! I'm quite excited at the thought of seeing some summer blockbusters at the cinema. It's just not quite the same seeing new movies at home, although with a decent TV and sound system it's far from the worst experience. 

As we're still restricted to home viewing for now I've come up with a few recommendations to watch on the main streaming services. Did you catch any of the films we talked about last month? If so let us know what you thought in the comments below! 

The first film on the list is a rather odd gem if you’re a fan of movies so bad they're actually good sweat smile Next is a Nicolas Cage from back in 2007 that I didn't even know existed until it popped up on my Netflix recommendations. The story is about a Las Vegas magician who can see 2 minutes into the future and is recruited by the FBI to help stop a nuclear bomb attack by terrorists. It sounds like a simple action movie but the way it's written and how the story unfolds is utterly bizarre! I won't spoil any of the details but if you want to have a good laugh then it's well worth a watch! 

Screenshot 2021-04-16 at 16.15.54.png

If you're a sci fi fan then I'd highly recommend Love, Death & Robots. Not technically a movie but a series of animated short stories all with very different animation styles and tone, from comedy to horror these short stories are all fantastic and there is a little something for everyone in there to enjoy. 

One that's been on my watch list for a while is the 2020 version of The Invisible Man. It looks like a great psychological horror with a woman being stalked by her now Invisible ex boyfriend. The trailer looks good so I'm looking forward to checking this one out! 

I'm not sure if we've discussed this one before but I've recently rewatched The Martian. It's the story of an astronaut who's left for dead on Mars and manages to survive against all odds for several years before a daring rescue attempt. It's a feel good movie and is very grounded in real science. 

Let's hope the weather is nice this weekend but if we do get rained out then you have a few suggestions to watch. Let us know what recent films you've seen or are planning to watch in the comments below! smile 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

One thing, don't believe what the critics say about a film being beautiful, award winning etc. The Shape of Water is one of those films: a massive let down. Stylish and it is lovely to look with some dark humour but strip away all of that and the story is a bit generic X-files and went off in the wrong direction in my opinion in the second half.

As for the Nicolas Cage NEXT, wasn't bad after all though kind of collasped into "What? Did the writers pick a random plot device to cover running out of money and end the film quickly?" towards the end.  But er, didn't they just rip off the Bobby Ewing return to Dallas to cover the plot?

Message 11 of 12

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I've seen Moon @Anonymous and really enjoyed it! I've not seen Coherence so will check it out on your recommendation. slight_smile

@Cleoriff@Cleoriff@TheresaV  OK I'll definitely have to check out The Invisible Man then! I'll let you guys know what I think of it. 

@sheepdog There was so much left unresolved in Next, the ending was bizarre! My friend was sure it would continue to wrap up the story but nope, they just rolled the credits. sweat_smile

@Projectionist I bet you're excited that cinemas are opening soon then! I haven't watched The Shape of Water but it looks great from the trailers I've seen. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 12 of 12