Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mosquitos and the Zika Virus

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122932 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Extremely worrying news when the World Health Organisation (W.H.O) has issued warnings that this virus is 'spreading explosively'.The Zika virus is transmitted by a certain breed of mosquito

Currently the Zika Virus is in 23 countries in the Americas... and the reason for alarm is fourfold.....

*1) The possible association of infection with birth malformations and neurological syndromes.

*2) The potential for further international spread given the wide geographical distribution of the mosquito vector.

*3) The lack of population immunity in newly affected areas.

*4) The absence of vaccines.....

Pregnant woman are being advised not to travel to the countries affected ....as this virus causes awful defects in the unborn child.

Another worry is the risk of the disease spreading to Europe. Mosquitos breeding in Italy.Spain etc etc.. can become carriers if prevailing weather conditions (El Nino) continue

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/28/zika-virus-spreading-explosively-says-world-health-orga...

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

Cleoriff
  • 122932 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

They can tell you have the virus but it's then in God's hands!

They also have no idea how long it remains in your system...or even worse, if you appear cured but remain a carrier....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 55

MI5
  • 144378 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
At least people could be checked if they were considering pregnancy.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 32 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122932 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
At least people could be checked if they were considering pregnancy.

I agree...but then there is a cost factor....and we all know about the NHS and costs....Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 55

jonsie
  • 93242 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

I had to scratch my head when one article said that people considering starting a family should use condoms..... what the hell?Destroy

Message 34 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122932 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I was very interested to listen to Bill Sweeney CEO of the British Olympics Committee 'reassuring ' the public (and no doubt our athletes) with his comments this morning on BBC news.

'Zika isn't a killer disease' ....Correct Mr Sweeney it isn't......so no need to be concerned then? Rolleys

'Olympics will be held in Brazilian winter so mosquito population will be lower' ....Correct...though temperatures could still be a humid 26c-30c

Oh and let's not forget the joyful news that the 'Brazilian stadiums are nearly ready'...(camera pans to rubble, stagnant water and rubbish everywhere)

Actually I wasn't that reassured at all....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 35 of 55

jonsie
  • 93242 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

These people are making it up as they go along, giving out assurances made by mainly by people who have absolutely no knowledge of the scale of the problem.

Message 36 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122932 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I hate to be any sort of 'harbinger of doom' @jonsie but I fear you are right. The Olympics must go ahead at any cost appears to be the mantra now. No consideration for the fact women of child bearing age can get pregnant....and men can be carriers through sexual contact. (but hey..it isn't a killer disease...so all is good) Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 37 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122932 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Public Health England have updated the advice about Travel and the Zika Virus

It is recommended that pregnant women should postpone non-essential travel to areas with active Zika transmission until after pregnancy. This is a change to the previous advice which encouraged pregnant women to consider avoiding travel and seek travel health advice.

In addition it is recommended that women should avoid becoming pregnant while travelling in an area with active Zika virus transmission, and for 28 days following return home.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/zika-virus-updated-travel-advice-for-pregnant-women

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 38 of 55

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Dancing round the fact that no one should really be going there as they will still get zika and can pass it on sexually, but hey, there's an Olympic games to think about....
Message 39 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122932 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Also I did read (though can't find it now) recommended not to get pregnant for TWO years after visiting a country with active Zika. I bet the female athletes are worried to death. I would be. The virus is resistant to the current insecticide they are using to spray the streets

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 40 of 55