Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mosquitos and the Zika Virus

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123157 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Extremely worrying news when the World Health Organisation (W.H.O) has issued warnings that this virus is 'spreading explosively'.The Zika virus is transmitted by a certain breed of mosquito

Currently the Zika Virus is in 23 countries in the Americas... and the reason for alarm is fourfold.....

*1) The possible association of infection with birth malformations and neurological syndromes.

*2) The potential for further international spread given the wide geographical distribution of the mosquito vector.

*3) The lack of population immunity in newly affected areas.

*4) The absence of vaccines.....

Pregnant woman are being advised not to travel to the countries affected ....as this virus causes awful defects in the unborn child.

Another worry is the risk of the disease spreading to Europe. Mosquitos breeding in Italy.Spain etc etc.. can become carriers if prevailing weather conditions (El Nino) continue

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/28/zika-virus-spreading-explosively-says-world-health-orga...

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

Cleoriff
  • 123157 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Luckily there isnt a major international influx of people heading to Brazil this year....
Oh wait...

Got it in one....I 'inferred' this was the reason it was getting major publicity now...I know this sounds cynical but facts speak for themselves really....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 55

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Just waiting for the news that backup cities have been put on standby
Message 12 of 55

MI5
  • 144715 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
It said on the news that they were releasing thousands of mutant Mozzies that couldn't breed in the hope they would wipe out the population of disease carrying ones.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 55

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2208 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I agree with you Coma. Fact is, it may all be too little too late. Brazil has currently published figures of at least 4000 children with the brain malfunctions linked to the virus. Who knows how many more pregnant women are carrying it as we speak?

Hopefully action now will save babies in the future....but I think it will be the far distant future sadly...

Still at least it is receiving world wide publicity which is good....

Same problem with so much diseases. Just because it's stopped in the "first world", we're not interested in solving anymore.

Remember when everybody started panicing about Ebola (even it was all the time out there in the ....bush) - just because it started to affect the own life? (Same with bird-, swine-, whatever - flu)

Only when it's getting real we start to think about it.

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 14 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 123157 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

As expected......BBC news tonight reporting of calls for emergency measures from W.H.O.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35443961

Also suggesting that you check with any official travel warnings before travelling to Brazil.

On my car radio tonight I heard a young air stewardess reporting her airline had stopped her (and other young female staff) from flying into the area.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 123157 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Today it has been reported that someone in Texas is now infected with the Zika virus. Not through a mosquito bite but sexual contact ....Worrying as this shows another route it can be transmitted. The person affected has never left Texas but their partner had returned from Venezuela http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35478778

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 55

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

They are recommending condoms but I am sure that alone is not going to stop this desease spreading. If this spreads to Thailand I guarantee it will affect the UK within weeks.

Message 17 of 55

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
The Olympics will soon spread it globally.
Can't believe they are still not addressing this major event and it's implications
Message 18 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 123157 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
The Olympics will soon spread it globally.
Can't believe they are still not addressing this major event and it's implications

On the late news last night they said Brazil and the Olympics committee are saying it will go on as planned. Though I have heard many athletes are considering not attending...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 55

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

As yet the disease is untreatable and it's ok saying that it leaves the system within 2 weeks but I wouldn't be to sure of the verity of that statement tbh. No problem for those of us not planning a family but this has widespread implications for our children. I can see why athletes would be wary about going. 

Message 20 of 55