Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mosquitos and the Zika Virus

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122906 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Extremely worrying news when the World Health Organisation (W.H.O) has issued warnings that this virus is 'spreading explosively'.The Zika virus is transmitted by a certain breed of mosquito

Currently the Zika Virus is in 23 countries in the Americas... and the reason for alarm is fourfold.....

*1) The possible association of infection with birth malformations and neurological syndromes.

*2) The potential for further international spread given the wide geographical distribution of the mosquito vector.

*3) The lack of population immunity in newly affected areas.

*4) The absence of vaccines.....

Pregnant woman are being advised not to travel to the countries affected ....as this virus causes awful defects in the unborn child.

Another worry is the risk of the disease spreading to Europe. Mosquitos breeding in Italy.Spain etc etc.. can become carriers if prevailing weather conditions (El Nino) continue

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/28/zika-virus-spreading-explosively-says-world-health-orga...

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23065 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Very worrying. Mosquitoes are almost impossible to control. From what I've read, a vaccine is at least two years away.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122906 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Yes the vaccine..Two years away....which of course is going to be far too late.

WHO have also looked at the possibility of destroying all the mosquite population. This is beyond the realms of possibility.

Centre for Disease Control (CDC) in the States, have actually issued a travel warning..

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices

Our main problem here in the UK will be people thinking they are not going to the Americas so they will be safe.

Fine...until the 'European mosquitos' become carriers. Then we are talking about a pandemic I think slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 55

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Mosquitoes are a real problem in Thailand, albeit transmitting Dengue Fever rather than Zika Virus but it's not difficult to see this becoming a worldwide year round problem in hotter climates. We have a lot to be thanful for here with our cold winters and mild summers.

Message 4 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122906 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

As I understand it @jonsie its the same breed of mosquito (Aedes aegypti ) which is responsible for Dengue and Yellow fever...

Of course the other big worry is the Olympics to be held in Rio. Contingency plans are currently underway and some athletes have pulled out (according to reports)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 55

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

They really need to get this vaccine out sooner but I realise it all takes time and a lot of research and testing.

Message 6 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122906 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

They really need to get this vaccine out sooner but I realise it all takes time and a lot of research and testing.

At the risk of sounding arrogant this is too little too late. They should have learned from mistakes made with Ebola. Zika isnt a new disease but its spread has been 'minimal' up till recently. Scientists are surely aware of the effects of climate change/global warming etc etc etc.  If you note that 4000 babies in Brazil have been born with major brain defects.... all probably linked to the virus... then anyone can see this did not happen overnight?

I get the feeling of head in sand here...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 55

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

That's the difference between newly industrialised and a industrialised country. They cannot afford the research - and the countries which were able didn't need to do it.

So maybe many future brasilian kids will be saved because Europe does the research now.

At least that's a little positive thing about it.

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 8 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122906 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I agree with you Coma. Fact is, it may all be too little too late. Brazil has currently published figures of at least 4000 children with the brain malfunctions linked to the virus. Who knows how many more pregnant women are carrying it as we speak?

Hopefully action now will save babies in the future....but I think it will be the far distant future sadly...

Still at least it is receiving world wide publicity which is good....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 55

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Luckily there isnt a major international influx of people heading to Brazil this year....
Oh wait...
Message 10 of 55