Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mosquitos and the Zika Virus

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122812 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Extremely worrying news when the World Health Organisation (W.H.O) has issued warnings that this virus is 'spreading explosively'.The Zika virus is transmitted by a certain breed of mosquito

Currently the Zika Virus is in 23 countries in the Americas... and the reason for alarm is fourfold.....

*1) The possible association of infection with birth malformations and neurological syndromes.

*2) The potential for further international spread given the wide geographical distribution of the mosquito vector.

*3) The lack of population immunity in newly affected areas.

*4) The absence of vaccines.....

Pregnant woman are being advised not to travel to the countries affected ....as this virus causes awful defects in the unborn child.

Another worry is the risk of the disease spreading to Europe. Mosquitos breeding in Italy.Spain etc etc.. can become carriers if prevailing weather conditions (El Nino) continue

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/28/zika-virus-spreading-explosively-says-world-health-orga...

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Just read this.
"Even as athletes grow increasingly concerned about the outbreak of the Zika virus in Brazil, the organizing committee for the August Olympics in Rio de Janeiro said it will charge national delegations to have mosquito screens on athletes’ rooms.

The screens, one measure Brazilians are using to help ward off the mosquito that is the primary transmitter of Zika, will be installed in communal areas “where required” but only affixed to lodging if national delegations decide to pay for it, said Philip Wilkinson, a spokesman for the Rio 2016 organizing committee.

The committee did not say how much the screens would cost or what type they would use. Low-end screens attached to windows with Velcro can cost as little as $15 while more rigid and durable screens can cost over $100."

If I were in these countries delegation, I would give rise the choice, do it or we pull out.
Message 41 of 55

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

As much as it is every sportsmans dream of representing their country in the Olympics, I would have great reservations about doing so in Rio....

Message 42 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122812 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I started this thread in January of this year. Yesterday the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has confirmed that the Zika virus DOES cause severe birth defects, including microcephaly.

Hundreds of babies were born in Brazil last year with microcephaly, a syndrome where children are born with unusually small heads.

The defects coincided with a spike in Zika infections, leading experts to suspect the mosquito-borne virus. It has taken 3 months for the best scientists in the world to confirm this. Truly worrying news

zika map.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36040881

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 43 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122812 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I first posted about the Zika Virus in January of this year....discussions throughout this thread raised concerns regarding the Olympics...Well what do you know...70 days before the Olympics start, scientists worldwide are calling for them to be moved /cancelled or postponed....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-36401150

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 44 of 55

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's all over the news but there is no way they will move the Games now. Far too many brown envelopes have changed hands....

Message 45 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122812 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It's all over the news but there is no way they will move the Games now. Far too many brown envelopes have changed hands....

I know... an eminent Harvard professor stated sarcastically....hey they will not stop this Brazilian Party....they will just sweep everything away....it's not the men in grey suits who have to worry is it?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 46 of 55

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Exactly that but I think female athletes around the world should seriously consider whether they risk the potential consequences of competing.

Message 47 of 55

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Shoddy construction, delay after delay, and a Zika pandemic ready to go global.
The Olympics should have been stripped from rio 2 years ago. What is the point if standby cities if the pussies at the IOC are too scared to use them?
Message 48 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122812 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

What I found particularly distasteful tonight was all the sporting 'experts' on every news channel I watched tended to downplay it. It made a mockery of what their own presenters were reporting. I don't think the 150 international scientists, doctors and medical ethicists from such institutions as Oxford University and Harvard and Yale universities in the United States have any reason to lie!. Apparently new evidence has 'come to light' about the virus.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 49 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122812 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@jonsie Has reported in the Lounge about 5 confirmed cases of the Zika virus in Thailand. On BBC news this morning we are told there are an 'unprecedented' amount of women asking for abortions in Latin American countries.....I suspect we will see thousands more...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 50 of 55