Monthly Book Thread - February 2021 ๐Ÿ“š

TheresaV
Former Staff
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

jonas-jacobsson-0FRJ2SCuY4k-unsplash.jpg

Hi everyone!

I recently talked to Martin about his Monthly Movie thread and how great it is to be able to share our favourite movies as well as recently discovered ones. But since I am not only a movie-lover myself but also a book-lover, I thought it would be nice to be able to have a Monthly Book Thread next to Martinโ€™s movie one. Martin mentioned a thread on the community from a while ago where members shared what they are reading at the moment, so maybe Iโ€™m lucky and some of you are into books too? ๐Ÿ“š

I myself mainly read crime books, much to the surprise of everyone around me as I am a major chicken when it comes to horror movies. But if you do like a good crime book yourself, I have a few suggestions for you this month of books I have read over the past few weeks and months:

Starting with Her Last Move by John Marrs. A packing crime thriller that has twists all over and kept me on edge until the very last page. Itโ€™s about a young police woman chasing a murderer without knowing that he is watching her every move. Definitely a book you can go through in a few days.

The second book I loved was When You Disappeared, also by John Marrs (I see a pattern here). This family drama thriller talks about the story of a woman waking up to find her husband has disappeared and left behind her and her three children. Probably a book that makes you realise that hiding things never works.

Last but not least - The Puppet Show by M.W. Craven. Probably my favourites from all the books I read last year. Quite a dark book surrounding around the hunt of a serial killer who is burning people alive in the Lake Districtโ€™s prehistoric stone circles. And I just found out that this was only the start of a series of novels. On to the next one now!

What are you reading at the moment? Or are you highly anticipating the release of a new book?

โ†’ COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
โ†’ Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
โ†’ Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
โ†’ Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I'm an avid reader @TheresaV and can get through about 2-3 books a week

So the last 3 I have read, or about to read now are

1) Before I Say I do. By Vicky Bradley. A very twisty psychological thriller about a woman about to get married and her fiancee disppears on the day of the wedding. Really enjoyed that.

2) The Missing. By CL Taylor. A 15 year old boy goes missing and lots of secrets are revealed by his family

(another psychological thriller)

3) Faithless in Death By JD Robb (who also writes under her real name of Nora Roberts)

A series of books, written about Eve Roarke, a cop in the NYPD in the future ie 2060. She is my favourite author and has written about 30 books in the 'In Death' series. 

I'll read pretty much anything, although not as keen on autobiographies.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 18

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Oh wow @Cleoriff 2-3 books a week is very admirable dizzy That's what I do in a month! I should take more time to read but a good series easily distracts wink

We seem to have a similar taste in books. The first one you mentioned, Before I say I do, looks really good. I will make that the next one I read after I finished my current ones. I have just started The Split by Sharon Bolton which has only been released late last year, and have another one waiting for me yahoo

I myself am not very keen on autobiographies whilst this is the only thing my partner reads. Well, at least it's clear we will never fight over a book joy

โ†’ Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
โ†’ Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 3 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Vicky Bradley wasn't known to me before I read this book @TheresaV 

However CL Taylor and SJ Watson are great psychological thriller writers.

Try 'Before I go to Sleep' by SJ Watson.  A great read. Fear

Also The Other Passenger by Louise Candlish. Both recommended by the Richard and Judy Book CLub

Good authors from my 'library'.... Mark Edwards and JP Delaney.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 18

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35210 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
No holidays lately means book consumption has dropped for me. And I put stuff on the Kindle but forget about it... A book thread is a good idea, rather than a new thread a month - I miss new threads sometimes.
Message 5 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@TheresaV 

I purchased The Split by Sharon Bolton over the weekend.innocent

I don't use my kindle at all. I know, I know.....but it's never the same as the feel and smell of a brand new book. yahoo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 18

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Vicky Bradley wasn't known to me before I read this book @TheresaV 

However CL Taylor and SJ Watson are great psychological thriller writers.

Try 'Before I go to Sleep' by SJ Watson.  A great read. Fear

Also The Other Passenger by Louise Candlish. Both recommended by the Richard and Judy Book CLub

Good authors from my 'library'.... Mark Edwards and JP Delaney.

I am rubbish at remembering author's names @Cleoriff joy Although I think I am slowly but surely getting better, seeing as I did remember John Marrs and M.W. Craven that I mentioned above. I usually find my books based on suggestions on what I read before. But that's why I am even more thankful for your suggestions. Will definitely look into this. That's a good month of reading ahead relieved

Oh and let me know how you like The Split! To be honest, it's taking me some time to get into it so curious as how you find it?

signature

Message 7 of 18

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@pgn wrote:
No holidays lately means book consumption has dropped for me. And I put stuff on the Kindle but forget about it... A book thread is a good idea, rather than a new thread a month - I miss new threads sometimes.

I do the same sometimes @pgn  joy It's always when I get a bit too excited over some book deals and don't know what I want to read first and then accidentally discover them weeks later. 

Maybe that would be an idea @pgn! What do you say @Cleoriff? Would you both prefer a general book thread or a monthly one?

signature

Message 8 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I'm not bothered either way @TheresaV 

Let's face it, I'm reading more due to lockdown. Others are reading less for the same reason. It depends on age and individual circumstances I expect?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 18

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35210 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Even a typesetter needs a day off now and then... From a version of the Book of Genesis, by the looks of it. rofl

Screenshot_20210223-063848.jpg

Message 10 of 18