Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriott Reservation Database Hacked

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

This may not apply to anyone in the UK, but I thought I'd put it here just in case.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/30/marriott-says-its-starwood-database-was-breached-onapproximately-500...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

This was on the BBC news at lunchtime @Bambino

Absolutely awful...affecting millions so I believe. Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 3 of 11

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

And according to the report hackers have been stealing guests personal information since 2014! Thank God it was finaĺly picked up in 20018. Imagine if this carried on undetected, how many more millions would have been affected.

Thankfully, I haven't stayed in an hotel either here or in the States for years. But I feel sorry for all those customers affected by this with the hassle they'll face cancelling cards, and do they change their phone numbers? And these hackers have their home addresses. An absolute nightmare. 

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

As I'd imagine a lot of the customers are probably so called 'high net worth' individuals I'd imagine their legal department in the US are bracing themselves for quite a few individual civil actions or one huge class action and it's probably brown trousers time for the Executives.

Message 5 of 11

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Not here either @jonsie

I am wondering when will a persons details become safely stored?

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 11

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

Not here either @jonsie

I am wondering when will a persons details become safely stored?

The problem @TallTrees is that as systems become more sophisticated, so to do the hackers and scammers. So the answer is no system will ever be 100% secure. It's why it's also important to keep a sharp eye on your bank account and report any unusual activity straight away.

Unfortunately, many people think 'it's never going to happen to me'. We see that here on the forum with people not noticing for several months or longer that their phone bills are higher than they should be due to some scammer milking them for some game or health aid they didn't want or knowingly sign up for.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 7 of 11

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @Glory1

I know you are right.

Help from O2 re phones etc.,  here to do as much as possible to try and avoid scammers

but can't avoid if registering at hotels of course and yet to get discovered other places.

Funny if it wasn't so frightening ~  it used to be~  keep all your possessions in a 

safe place! Hotel safe for passport etc.  certainly has changed now ~ know where passport is and money in pocket but others working hard in places you have no idea all this being robbed!  angry

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 11

MrFrenzy
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 31 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
What a terrible amount of people to be affected by this breach! I regularly stay in Marriott hotels all over Europe for work, and paid for by work. I'm by no means a high flying executive or director but I do order room service and hand over my passport to reception- I wonder if my info was stolen 😞 !
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TallTrees

Something that has changed is that to enable reservations via the Internet these systems have had to be connected to the Internet whereas previously hotels and their reservation call centres would have a link back to systems at HQ which was not connected to the 'net.

In the same way, banks were connected to their ATMs, to each other and to payment processors but there was no 'public' access as such.

Message 10 of 11