Did you mean: 

Death of a Snow Leopard

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Most people on here know of my love of Big Cats

Today I read of something which had me in tears. It happened in October, although the story was only released today.

It happened at Dudley Zoo in the Midlands. The Zoo was closed to the public (after hours)

Margaash a beautiful snow leopard age 8, escaped his cage when the GATE WAS LEFT UNLOCKED BY A ZOO KEEPER!

Attempts to get him back into his enclosure failed...so they shot him!

No effort made to tranquilise. Just shot dead. 

Maargash was shot dead after escaping

He was part of a breeding pair.

Snow leopards are an endangered species with less than 4000 left in the wild.

Apparently the Zoo made the decision to shoot him as 'it was getting dark and he was heading for the woods. also a tranquiliser dart would have taken too long to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

I am in shock. Absolutely horrified at this tragedy. According to the zoo, he didn't suffer.

Well that's all right then!!!

https://news.sky.com/story/snow-leopard-shot-dead-after-escaping-enclosure-at-dudley-zoo-11567615?fb...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
I cried reading that story. So many things wrong here. Why, when they were 'coaxing' him into the enclosure, didn't they tranquilize him then? Why did they have to kill him? I'm so angry at them, at the fool who left the gate open, all of them! Murderers!
giphy-3
Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I just think they had a 'duty of care' to that beautiful animal.

None of the public were at risk, the Zoo was closed.

I find it very suspicious that it happened in October and only made the news today.

Dudley Zoo are reluctant to answer further questions and won't comment on the action taken against the negligent zookeeper. 

Personally I think they panicked. Should never have been given charge of this snow leopard.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Agree on every point ! There's something very wrong on so many levels
giphy-3
Message 4 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
A cataclysmic and abhorrent failure at every level.
Such a disgusting waste of the life of a beautiful animal.
So many questions the zoo are avoiding.
Why wasn't two keepers present for big cat enclosure closing.
Why did a vet turn up to an escaped big cat without a fast acting sedative.
Why have they kept this under the rug until now.
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
The human race has a lot to answer for..ffs
Message 6 of 12

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

This sad sad story is deeply distressing for any animal lovers amongst us. To treat a magnificent creature this way makes me so angry. Whoever made that stupid awful decision should be made accountable. It's no wonder we have endangered species when we do our best to make sure they are endangered. You can probably imagine the words that came out of my mouth when this was reported and I read further into it.Shocking!

Message 7 of 12

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Absolutely disgusting that such a beautiful animal was needlessly destroyed by stupid humans.

The tw4t(s) that left his cage unlocked should be sacked on the spot. How can you be so careless when dealing with a big cat that you know is dangerous. Though clearly not as dangerous as man. 

They didn't need to shoot him but they panicked and the end result is a magnificent, beautiful, endangered animal is dead. 

Animals kill out of fear, hunger or to protect their young. Man is the only animal who kills for sport, or ivory or to obtain a particular animal part used as a supposed aphrodesiac in Chinese medicine. It makes me sick.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think there will be a big investigation according to the Head of the Born Free Foundation and PETA

Last year we had the death of a keeper when she was mauled by a lion whilst she was in it's enclosure at Cambridge Wildlife Park.

The tiger survived, though the keeper didn't.

Health and Safety regulations will be looked at across the UK

Though never a fan of zoos, I have thought for a long time, with the decline in numbers of big cats, due to poaching and loss of habitat, well kept large zoos are the safest places for them.

Combined with the worldwide beeding programmes, this is the only way we will get to see these beautiful animals in future,

However NOT if they are randomly shot by the people who are there to protect them.!!

Image result for Margaash the snow leopard who was shot

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10674 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

I am so upset @Cleoriff

has no one got any sense of reason and care.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 10 of 12