Did you mean: 

‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌🌸 March equinox‌ 🌸

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Hi everyone!

In about a couple of days the first equinox of the year will take place, which means that the Sun is exactly above the Equator circle, thus night and day have the same length at this point.

The vernal equinox also means that spring is here. At last.

(Mentioned Weller on this week's Priority Music Highlights so this was fittingly fresh on my mind wink)

Here in London I can already smell the sweet fragrance of blooming flowers whilst I walk through the streets. I can also feel the Sun much warmer when it hits the skin. 

Furthermore, for those interested in astrology, this is the point where the sun enters the sign of Aries, which is the solar sign of that who’s writing this piece. Astronomically speaking, it’s the First Point of Aries. 

With spring and it’s gradual longer days, we start to make plans to enjoy the outdoors, it’s that time of the year to plan a trip, even if that means going for a stroll in a park nearby. Soon enough we will forward our clocks as well, which will instantly make the days a little bit longer. 

All in all, throughout history, many folk celebrated this period of renovation. 

Do you have any plans for spring? A short-trip? Having a pint al fresco with your mates? Doing the garden, digging the weeds? Who could ask for more? If you fancy, please share it on the comments below.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I rarely do anything fancy in the garden at this time of year @RafaC as I have been caught out with late snowfall before now!. In fact we have mowed the lawn for the first time 4 days ago and did a general tidy of leaves etc. Oh and the daffodils are out in some pots and along the border.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Do you wait until mid-spring or summer then @Cleoriff? I guess that mowing the lawn and do a general tidy up makes a lot of difference already 🏡

Oh I love when the daffodils are out, such a beautiful thing to see and their blooming is so ephemeral that you have to enjoy it whilst you can.

Message 3 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@RafaC   I never plant any bedding plants until the last week in May. (Or first week in Jun)

My Mum used that old saying 'Never cast a clout till May is out". Now I have NO idea what that's in relation to but Mum used it about putting her bedding plants out 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 11

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Love it @Cleoriff 
That's a good way to remember not to put any bedding plants out until May's finished. 😄
When I have my own garden I'll definitely remember about this 😊

For now I've been taking care of my potted plants that I have in my living room. Managed to plant some basil this year, sowed them a couple weeks ago, let's see how it goes. 🌱

Message 5 of 11

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35213 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Oh I see. Don't put your woollies away. All means the same really. 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 11

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10669 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @RafaC 

Lovely topic, Thank you.

Spring as sprung here, buds are really bursting and flowers are getting ready to pop.  Longer days are fantastic. Really looking forward to a great Spring and Summer.  

The garden has been mowed early this week. Birds are starting to nest in the boxes on my tall trees.

Fabulous.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 11

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@pgn I'll definitely take a note of it now 😁
thanks for sharing! As @Cleoriff said I guess it applies to both woollies and garden flowers I suppose.

@TallTrees thanks slight_smile

I really love longer days as well! Those birds staring to nest in the boxes on your tall trees sound lovely to me bird🌳

Message 9 of 11

RunrigForever
  • 2079 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I love Spring ..... intend to buy myself a bunch of cheerful daffodils on the Friday market ..... the kitchen window sill is a cool place for a vase of flowers ... and with Mothers Day coming up I am treating myself.

Been out these last 2 days without a coat and no cardigan today ... quite comfortable and pleasant ... always look forward to the change in the hour to BST British Summer Time ... really do appreciate the longer days to come.

I have a yard which really needs a good tidy up ..... don't think I brushed up last years leaves = I just brushed up a clear path from my outside door to the gate ... = ... I love a garden, but am such a lazy gardener ... the central pot has done well = 4 potted variegated ivies + purple crocus, now over their best with paper daffs ... . aka tete-a-tete daffodils doing well ..... the remaining potted shrubs need attending to about now.

Am feeding seeds to 2 flocks of sparrows in the old hawthorn hedge alongside the Leeds Liverpool canal. The humble birds make me smile.

Lovely topic @RafaC slight_smile

***DESORMAIS***
Message 10 of 11