• 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions
Message 1 of 63
62 REPLIES 62

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dgilbert2

Sorry

No all went ok, running absolutely fine.

Message 41 of 63

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

Thanks, I'm pleased top hear it. I will switch mine on now and see if it does the update wink

@Anonymous wrote:

No all went ok, running absolutely fine.

Message 42 of 63

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dgilbert2

Depending on the speed of your connection it'll download quick but it took several hours to 'install' then another hour to work on updates.

Message 43 of 63

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@dgilbert2

Depending on the speed of your connection it'll download quick but it took several hours to 'install' then another hour to work on updates.

Exactly that. I downloaded this morning and left it installing while I went to the pub. I was gone 4 hours and it was finished by the time I got back so I don't know how long it took but i'm guessing a couple of restarts were involved.

Message 44 of 63

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Most other operating systems these days don't require a reboot unless a new kernel or library is installed. Which is why I find the whole windows update process tedious.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 45 of 63

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anticpated wrote:

Most other operating systems these days don't require a reboot unless a new kernel or library is installed. Which is why I find the whole windows update process tedious.

@anticpated

Do you run your system constantly then?

Message 46 of 63

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
No but rebooting to reinitialise the registry and system configuration can be time consuming. Of course not every update in Windows requires a reboot.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 47 of 63

dgilbert2
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Blimey, I don't recall any the the other "major" updates taking SOOOOOOO long!? confused

Hope it will be worth it!

Message 48 of 63

dgilbert2
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

Mine has now updated to 1809 and I'm not entirely happy.

There are now some random blue screens of death when waking up from "sleep" and I have lost 90% of files from my "download" folder.

I'm sure the blue screens will get fixed in time but I thought they had fixed the issue of user files being deleted rage

Message 49 of 63

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dgilbert2 wrote:

Mine has now updated to 1809 and I'm not entirely happy.

There are now some random blue screens of death when waking up from "sleep" and I have lost 90% of files from my "download" folder.

I'm sure the blue screens will get fixed in time but I thought they had fixed the issue of user files being deleted rage

@dgilbert2

Try updating graphics drivers in the first instance (I've seen instances of this or the person just seeing a pointer on a black screen when the system is recovering)

It's also a good idea to restart every few days.

Do you have your downloads pointed at anything other than the C drive?

Message 50 of 63