Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping up with the times

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23174 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

The BBC published this article today. How long has it been known about here? Sheesh!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31148424

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144822 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions
You can always rely on the BBC for the most up to date news slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 3 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 123238 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Now...in their defence, how many people do we still get on here complaining about the cost of emoticons and claiming they didnt know?

Maybe it is a good thing they've done....perhaps it will be noticed more as it has made news...#just saying....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 10

Fellwalker
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I never knew about this - but then I've added emoticons to text messages and never had them charged as anything but text messages. 

Clearly there are emoticons, and then there are emoticons.

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 5 of 10

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 144822 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

Fellwalker wrote: 

Clearly there are emoticons, and then there are emoticons.

Yes there are some differences.....

There is some further advice here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 10

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Perhaps they have had an influx of complaints to Watchdog?

There was an article in the Daily Mail yesterday of somebody complaining of a high monthly bill due to putting a smiley face on some of their texts and was confused as they had an unlimited text tarriff.  Their bill was about £20 more than usual.  They must send a lot of texts.  Maybeit is juts getting repeated in the newsevery so often when people complain about it, but then it would weaken their case if they appealed to their network as the netowkr could turn round and say that it is becoming common knowledge.

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1 wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Perhaps they have had an influx of complaints to Watchdog?

• There was an article in the Daily Mail yesterday of somebody complaining of a high monthly bill due to putting a smiley face on some of their texts and was confused as they had an unlimited text tarriff.  Their bill was about £20 more than usual.  They must send a lot of texts.  Maybeit is juts getting repeated in the newsevery so often when people complain about it, but then it would weaken their case if they appealed to their network as the netowkr could turn round and say that it is becoming common knowledge.
I knew the Daily mail liked "news" that aren't really news but this is just pure desperation to fill the page... £20 of extra charges is apparently a high monthly bill... As for them "appealing" to the network....they don't have a case to appeal...and the network will probably offer £5 as a goodwill gesture and tell them they wont do it again....
ps - £20 equals 50 MMS so she is really not a high texter, if she was, this news would make sense.

Message 9 of 10

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
I take the Daily Mail articles with a pinch of salt nowadays, but it's still something to read on my train journeys to and from work slight_smile
Message 10 of 10