Keeping pets safe and happy during the holidays ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿฑ

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

O2 Community 2019 Advent Calendar

Hi guys, how are you doing today? slight_smile

Christmas time can be a fun celebration for us humans, but if we're not careful, it can be dangerous for our pets. ๐Ÿ˜ž There are some obvious and some not-so-obvious treats that we normally have during the holidays that can actually be harmful to our cats and dogs if they happen to eat them. Apart from foods, there are also items that are potentially dangerous that pet owners should take into account to minimise risks.

These foods are bad for dogs, cats or both:

• Chocolate is poisonous to both cats and dogs
  • All grapes and raisins are poisonous to dogs (mince pies and Christmas puddings!)
  • Blue cheese is bad for dogs
  • So are macadamia nuts
  • Garlic, chives and onion
  • Alcohol

Cakes with chocolate and raisins Garlic

These items should be used with caution around pets:

• Tinsel if ingested can cause blockages
  • Snow globes - if a cat breaks it and licks the liquid, it can be fatal (it can contain anti-freeze)
  • Candles left unmonitored can cause a fire if a cat or dog gets curious, and can of course burn their little paws or whiskers
  • Fairy lights when chewed on or played with can burn and even electrocute a pet
  • Some Christmas time plants/flowers are poisonous to cats and dogs, such as poinsettia and mistletoe. 
  • Lilies can be fatal to cats
  • As Cleoriff mentioned in another topic (thanks for the tip!), Christmas trees can also be a risk if your pet chews the branches (can cause obstruction)

Cat with tinsel Dog in a Christmas hat

Were any of these surprising to you guys? I wasn't aware of the blue cheese one. hushed Do you know of any other foods or items we often use at Christmas time that we should be careful with around pets?

I found some instruction videos on the RSPCA website on how to make DIY cat and dog treats for Christmas, if you'd like your pets to have their own, safe, Christmas treats and want some inspiration! ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿฑ slight_smile

• Some more tips on the PDSA website on keeping pets calm during the busy holiday period
  • Tips on the Pets at Home website for keeping pets safe during Christmas time
  • List of 10 hazards for pets at Christmas time here

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
I look at this thread and I donโ€™t feel old any more...
Message 31 of 39

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25020 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I look at this thread and I donโ€™t feel old any more...

I`m not old... I`m a recycled teenager Dance Drum Happy Dance

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 32 of 39

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25020 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Here is a whole load of "Things people did In the 60s & 70s with their kids, they could never get away with today" link here 

Amazing how many I remember my folks doing...  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 33 of 39

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

Here is a whole load of "Things people did In the 60s & 70s with their kids, they could never get away with today" link here 

Amazing how many I remember my folks doing...  

Yes and me...wink

I used to sit on my Mums lap in the front of the car with NO seatbelts.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Reckless!
Message 35 of 39

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35211 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Sleeping in the front passenger footwell... 

Head out through the sunroof, when weather afforded the opportunity...

In fact:

giphy (14).gif

Message 36 of 39

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

My cats love a little bit of cheese, though NOT blue cheese as I don't like it!

This part was interesting @Marjo 

Christmas plants may look pretty but poinsettias, mistletoe, holly, amaryllis, ferns and pine sap are poisonous to cats and dogs

However they missed one very important plant out of the list. Lilies (often sent in Christmas bouquets)

The stamen of lilies are poisonous to cats. What's worse, the stamen usually drop from the lily to the floor.

When I first learnt this I had lilies in my garden. I dug them all up. If I get a bouquet which contains lilies, I cut the stamen off when the flower opens.

Image result for Images of white lilies with stamen

Obviously the stamen are the brown orange stalks in the middle.

Apart from poisoning cats, they stain clothes and you have a hell of a job removing the stain.

The link below gives quite frightening info....

https://www.vets4pets.com/pet-health-advice/cat-advice/lily-poisoning-in-cats/ 

Good advice @Cleoriff  Always wary of lillies.  They really do stain everything they touch.  I have an Alstroemeria (Peruvian Lily) flower plant in my garden, which is like a small lily plant.  These are nowehere near as bad and don't deposit anything.

Thanks

Steve
Message 37 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Although not as toxic @welshsteve76 the Pet Poison Helpline shows they do cause problems?

https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/veterinarians/free-resources-clinic-clients/no-lilies-for-kitties/ 

*These plants may cause more gastrointestinal irritation or upset (drooling, vomiting, and/or diarrhoea) than others on the list but are not expected to cause severe poisoning (i.e. kidney, liver, or nervous system effects).

So even though they are lovely and not as toxic, they would be a no for me as my cats eat anything!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 38 of 39

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Cats are funny creatures. Always getting themselves in scrapes.  My neighbours' cat vommitted grass balls over my fence a few months ago.  I'm a dog person myself

Thanks

Steve
Message 39 of 39