Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Off-Topic

Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Keeping pets safe and happy during the holidays 🐢🐱

Aww that's such a cute sleeping position @liggerz87 ! πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€

I actually have 2 cacti at the moment, but Arthur keeps biting chunks off them and I think they are pretty much done now. I need to throw them away. Smiley Tongue He doesn't seem bothered, I think cats' skin is much tougher than human skin anyway, but it's the last time I have cacti in the house. I also accidentally swiped at the cactus with my own hand the other day and got a few needles lodged in my finger. confounded

I suppose I could get one of those glass-covered tiny cactus pots that would be safe from both the cats and my own clumsiness. Smiley Very Happy

β†’ COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
β†’ Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
β†’ Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
β†’ Have a query about your account? See if the My O2 how-to guide will help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? Smiley Happy
signature

Highlighted
Anonymous

Simple.. ban Christmas
Highlighted
Level 18: Posting pro

Ouch must have hurt ye rats sleep in well funny positions lol
Highlighted
Level 4: Observant

And if I may, please ensure little children are not left unsupervised with plants described in this thread : clearly affecting our pets, and so irratant/toxic for humans too.

Especially as children will have the natural curiosity to touch and take to mouth the pretty colours and shapes they are seeing around the Christmas tree...

Poinsettia's milky sap in particular is allergenic to skin & eyes and toxic if ingested. (As majority of plants from Euphorbia family).

One of the pretiest plant, in my opinion, and most used in making Christmas wreaths is Holly.

Did you know that Holly leaves, if eaten, might cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and stomach and intestinal problems.

Sadly and scary if not aware of this, the Holly berries can cause vomiting and diarrhea. They are especially dangerous when accidental eating by children attracted to the bright red berries. Ingestion of over 20 berries may be fatal to children.

Having said all of this, I have been handing these plants for years, as I love making my own wreaths and table decorations for Christmas. My "secret "?! I wear gloves mostly; when not, I make sure I don't rub my eye, eat with dirty hands, etc, and yes, the classic washing hands thoroughly...

This way, my dog, 3 cats and my child never had toxicity issues over the years...
Highlighted
Topics: 747

[ Edited ]

Thank you for that information @Hopeful2BHappy . wink

Must admit I knew about the dangers of holly leaves and berries, though wasnt aware of any problems with the poinsettia plant.

As you say, this is the most widely used/seen plant over the festive period, generally sent as gifts or bought as table centrepieces. In fact my son bought me one last week and they do brighten up any room.

Related image

Thanks for the information. I certainly will be sure to pass it on. thumbsup

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Highlighted
Topics: 129

As children we were always told to avoid contact with the milky sap of the Poinsettia plant. 

Mind you, there were a lot of things you wouldn't do today for health and safety reasons... Poking the little silvery beads of mercury and watching them skitter away and reclump was such fun! 

Most Random Thread.pngMost Useful Guide.pngWe cannot access your account
Highlighted
Topics: 747

@pgn wrote:

Mind you, there were a lot of things you wouldn't do today for health and safety reasons... Poking the little silvery beads of mercury and watching them skitter away and reclump was such fun! 

Oh yes. Just imagine the amount of thermometers we broke (before digital) and running all round the ward picking up the glass and mercury beads!!

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Highlighted
Anonymous

Did anyone else set fire to the gas taps in the science lab? (Off topic - don’t care)
Highlighted
Topics: 574

All very scary. How the hell did we all survive with the ridiculous things we did in childhood? A lot of the stuff we did back then would set alarm bells ringing now.

Lead soldiers and lead based paint, the number of units of alcohol recommended today, rubbers on pencils, teddy bears with sharp pins and detachable eyes, lead toy cars. OMG how am I still here.

Having said that, great advice about the Christmas plants and berries which was one thing even our parents warned us about. The safety of children is every parents' concern and you can never be too over-protective.

Highlighted
Topics: 129

Aerosol cans in the garden incinerator were pretty spectacular, from a distance.
Most Random Thread.pngMost Useful Guide.pngWe cannot access your account