Did you mean: 

It's World Book Day!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

The 5th of March is World Book day which is a yearly event designed to celebrate authors, illustrators and book readers across the globe! It's also a great day to encourage reading amongst children which is no easy task in the days of mobile Internet and screens in every room. 

Books on a shelf

To mark the occasion lets have a discussion about books! Do you read regularly or have you found you've fallen out of the habit in the information age? 

I'm currently re-reading World War Z by max brooks, which tells the story of humanities fightback against a zombie apocalypse from the point of view of a UN investigator after the fact. It's much better then the movie in my opinion and I'd highly recommend! 

What would you say your all time favourite book is and what are you currently reading? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Totally @TallTrees, books are so much more dense story wise them movies. 

That explains the fantastic general knowledge then @Mi-Amigo! I'd love to have that many books. Working on it atm. cool

I didn't know there were any books linked to Bioshock @JamieB14, I'll have to check it out! 

@Anonymous, @jonsie I really want to read the Jack Reacher books. I enjoyed the films but apparently the books are miles better. 

I'm a big fan of Stephen King @Cleoriff. I just read one of his short stories called The Jaunt. Very short but a great read with a pretty messed up ending!   

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 11 of 23

JamieB14
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 186 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
@Martin-O2 Yeah I only found out about it the other week and people say it's a great read 😀

Not read much of it just yet but will try and finish it this weekend 😀
Message 12 of 23

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

You'll have to let us know what you think once you've finished it @JamieB14 ! 

signature

Message 13 of 23

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35779 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

This guy's stuff is usually worth the read, and oft-times, a re-read:

ESVGc6WUMAEllMN.gif

Neil Gaiman. 

Message 14 of 23

JamieB14
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 186 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
@Martin-O2 I definitely will 😀
Message 15 of 23

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Nice one @JamieB14!

Do you have a favourite book of Neil Gaiman's @pgn?

signature

Message 16 of 23

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35779 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

Do you have a favourite book of Neil Gaiman's @pgn?

My first encounter - Good Omens, co-written with the late Sir Terry Pratchett.  It made me seek more of his material out: Stardust, Coraline, The Graveyard Book, American Gods, The Ocean at the End of the Lane... 

If you want a taste of his work, Fragile Things is worth a look - an anthology, several short stories and pieces. 

One of those in Fragile Things that is particularly weird is Bitter Grounds, available in its entirety here:

https://www.tor.com/2017/10/31/reprints-neil-gamain-bitter-grounds-2/

Message 17 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

the iconic Jack London's Call Of The Wild is BBC Radio Four's Book of the Week, 00:30 hours weekdays

This abridged version had a Brutal beginning

It was a school book - just couldn't get into it, thought it was boring, but different beginning to last night's episode 1.

Message 18 of 23

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@pgn I watched the TV adaptation of Good Omens, thoroughly enjoyed it! I'll have to check out some more of his work. 

Just read the Plot summary for Call Of The Wild. Sounds like an interesting read! 

signature

Message 19 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've decided to try and turn over a new leaf (boom!) and do some reading. It'll never be 500 page epics so I went to Asda and picked 2 for £8.

IMG_20210109_205911956.jpg

Message 20 of 23