Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I agree @Bambino, these atrocities are meticulously planned and if there is any possibility of  getting round the security measures, you can bet your life (and we are without any doubt) that these excuses for human beings will have sussed it out. They always seem to be one step ahead and without doubt, Brexit or not, these pieces of excrement will carry out an atrocity in the UK in the near future.

Message 11 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 123114 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

As someone who travels a hell of a lot... we seem to have gone much further than 'Please take off your shoes watches, necklaces and belts when going through security'......(As well as not being allowed to take drinks through...) We are stuck in the dark ages of security checks

It has to change and improve to meet the needs of the sophisticated attacks happening now. 

As said, new methods will be devised constantly.....but at my two local airports they have been doing the same security checks for the past 8 years...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 28

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23149 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

This attack, and the attack recently at Brussels airport had nothing to do with security checks that are in place within airports. Those checks, as tedious as they are, in fact work, which is why this new method of attack has been devised. The only way to prevent it would be to set up road blocks and check points before the terminals, which would probably add four to five hours, or maybe even longer onto a journey at a busy airport. I don't think people would be prepared to do that.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 13 of 28

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12101 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions
Can't remember where I read or heard this line, but it is very true and disheartening (please note, I am paraphrasing):
"We have to win every time, without fail. They only have to win once..."

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 14 of 28

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

The only way to prevent it would be to set up road blocks and check points before the terminals, which would probably add four to five hours, or maybe even longer onto a journey at a busy airport. I don't think people would be prepared to do that.

At Bristol Airport they already have the road blocks in place devised by the local councils under the guise of "traffic flow improvements"....they just need to man the queues with uniformed personnel to carry out the checks on the vehicles......there would be no additional inconvenience to travellers.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 15 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 123114 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

I understand what you are saying @Bambino and agree. However the point I missed making was, there isn't enough security in ALL areas of airports. I drive into BHX every 4 -5 weeks. It's a major international airport. I see NO restrictions or security presence on the approach roads, the car parks or outside the terminals. You go inside to check in and the security is increased slightly. However, when you actually go upstairs to check through to departures....most of security staff are there. There is an urgent need to review ALL processes on an ongoing basis. If more staff are needed then find the budget to do this.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 28

Bambino
  • 23149 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

The only way to prevent it would be to set up road blocks and check points before the terminals, which would probably add four to five hours, or maybe even longer onto a journey at a busy airport. I don't think people would be prepared to do that.

At Bristol Airport they already have the road blocks in place devised by the local councils under the guise of "traffic flow improvements"....they just need to man the queues with uniformed personnel to carry out the checks on the vehicles......there would be no additional inconvenience to travellers.

Try doing that at Heathrow Terminals 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 or at Kennedy in NYC and see what happens.

@Cleoriff I understand what you're saying, but you're talking about a relatively small airport. It may be possible in an airport that has one terminal building, although it would most likely still cause delays, but with a major international airport, that has tens of thousands of cars arriving daily, with multiple terminals and separate approaches to each one, it would cause chaos.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 17 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 123114 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Try doing that at Heathrow Terminals 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 or at Kennedy in NYC and see what happens.

I have only ever been to two US airports (both in Florida) and the thought of it makes me shudder. Its bad enough getting through double security checks in the airports (going in... and leaving.)

The last time we went I commented it had taken us nearly as much time to get to our villa once we landed in Orlando as it had to fly there from the UK...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 28

Bambino
  • 23149 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

I have only ever been to two US airports (both in Florida) and the thought of it makes me shudder. Its bad enough getting through double security checks in the airports (going in... and leaving.)

The last time we went I commented it had taken us nearly as much time to get to our villa once we landed in Orlando as it had to fly there from the UK...

I used to have to go through the same coming through Passport Control in the UK, but now I am a registered traveler, and because I have a biometric passport I can bypass the queues.

Edit: I pay for that privilege, by the way.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 19 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 123114 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Bambino BHX is classed as a major international airport. Certainly not as big as Heathrow but massive nonetheless. and It has numerous terminals and passenger numbers increasing every year .....

I have never flown from Heathrow but have many times from Gatwick and Manchester. However, this issue isn't purely about big airports. These terrorists will attack any airport they feel is vulnerable. .....and those with weak security...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 28