Did you mean: 

International sloth day!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Today is International sloth day! This annual event is used to celebrate the fantastic Sloth and bring attention to conservation efforts of these wonderful and often misunderstood creatures. To mark the day I've compiled some fun Sloth facts and cute pictures, enjoy! 

SlothSloths are very good swimmers! 

Sloths are painfully slow on land. Their hind legs are weak, so they have to use their arms and upper body strength to pull themselves forward. Once in the water they are up to 3 times as fast then on land! 

Sloths love a good sleep 

True to their name Sloths sleep a lot! From between 10 to 15 hours day. They are mostly nocturnal and spend their waking hours looking for food. 

Sloths are omnivorous

Much like humans Sloths are omnivorous and enjoy a varied diet of both plants insects and even small lizards. 

They used to be a lot bigger 

Thousands of years ago Ancient Sloths could grow to be as large as an elephant! They roamed North America and became extinct around 10,000 years ago.

Sloths are super slow

Sloths are considered the world's slowest animal. They creep at such a slow pace that algae grows on their fur! The algae works to the sloth's advantage. Having green fur provides these arboreal animals with camouflage to blend in among the trees.

Sloths are evolved to live in the trees 

The impressive biology of a Sloth allows it to spend 90% of its life hanging upside down. This is made possible because their organs are attached to their rib cage, which means they don’t weigh down on the lungs. This means that, unlike us, a sloth can hang upside down with no affect on its breathing.

They have their own moth 

The fur of Sloths is a breeding ground for algae and a wide array of other parasites and insects that form a unique ecosystem in the Sloths fur. This includes a type of moth that has evolved to use the Sloths fur as a breeding ground for their young and they don't reproduce anywhere else! 

Sloth 1.jpg

Sloth 2.jpg

Sloth 3.jpg

Sloth 4 .jpg

If you have any laughing, let us know your own Sloth facts below! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I would but CBA wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

LukasB
Former Staff
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@MI5 I am dead joy

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Tut mir leid das zu hören wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

After my retirement from work due to ill health ... ... ... well, over the years I have become something of a Sloth myself ... ... ... have to do things slowly or I end up damaging myself ... ... ... I don't have visitors to my home so it is quite messy = the bathroom is pristine! ... ... ... my bedroom and the kitchen are the messiest ... ... ... I eat what I want when I want ... ... ... I sleep when I am tired whatever time of day or night ... ... ... my cat Marty doesn't mind so long as he is looked after, which he is Cat Tongue

UP SLOTHS!

Message 5 of 5