Did you mean: 

International Podcast Day 2022

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Hi everyone!

We had a look through the ol' treasure chest and what did we find? Some secret surprise podcast recommendations from our dear friend @lewys-gp, of course grin  Let's see what he's got for us 🥁 🥁 🥁

Today (September 30th) is International Podcast Day 🎧.

"The celebration is a great opportunity to connect with fellow podcasters, podcast listeners, podcast enthusiasts, and leaders in the podcasting industry. Help spread the word by telling your friends, sharing the celebration on your podcasts."

As a big podcast fan myself, I thought today would be as good as any to create a topic on the subject. Below, I'm going to share some of my favourites. But, please, share your own favourites in the Replies or even ask for recommendations!

If you're a Spotify user, you'll be well aware of Spotify Wrapped. The platform provided me with my top 5 podcasts for 2021, near the end of last year:

Breanna_1-1664543980349.jpeg

As you can guess, the overall theme is politics/news & current affairs based 😴. Boring for some, but I quite like being in the loop with what is happening in the world 😊. I tend to listen whilst cleaning, cooking, walks/runs and whenever I have a task that doesn't require much thought!.

I'll give you a breakdown of #1, The David McWilliams Podcast, and some others I'd like to mention.

The David McWilliams Podcast

Breanna_4-1664543980219.jpeg

So, David McWilliams is an Irish economist! And he hosts this podcast with his buddy, John. I would say they're a good craic. It's not very heavy, so it's quite accessible - they cover a different topic and have a laugh along the way.

Topics could be about economics, inflation, geopolitics, country-specific (China, USA, UK, etc.), history and so much more. Episodes are around 40-50 minutes in length. And there's a couple of adverts, which you can skip.

Have You Heard George's Podcast?

Breanna_5-1664543980234.jpeg

Now, this is completely different to your usual podcast! And that's why I wanted to draw attention to it. George The Poet is a Peabody award-winning, British spoken-word artist, poet, rapper, and podcast host with an interest in social and political issues.

In this podcast, he paints an audio-portrait of life in his community, London, in music and crime. It mixes fiction and non-fiction, taking you on a journey per season and exposing you to things you may not have thought about before. And best of all, it's spoken in rhyme and poetic lines 🤗.

You're Dead to Me

Breanna_7-1664543980316.jpeg

So, this is a history/comedy podcast! My taste isn't limited to the more boring stuff... As the BBC describes it:

"The history podcast for people who don't like history... and those who do. Greg Jenner [author/historian] brings together the best names in comedy and history to learn and laugh about the past."

Each episode is about a different person/event in history, and an expert on the subject will be talking with Greg. As well as that, a comedian joins in to learn along the way. It's very interesting and you learn some very fun facts (which may impress in front of friends or family).

-

I hope you've found the above interesting. I am subscribed to a long list of podcasts too, so can make recommendations on any genre you'd be interested in (I think)! I've added some questions below too (don't have to answer them all), which may help create some discussion too...

1. What podcast(s) have you listened to?
  2. What's your favourite podcast?
  3. Is there a favourite quote or line you remember specifically?
  4. Where/When do you like to listen to podcasts?
  5. What platform do you prefer to listen on?
  6. Do you pay for any podcast subscriptions?
  7. Do you prefer podcasts over music?
  8. What's your favourite genre/theme of podcasts?
  9. If you haven't listened to a podcast before, why not?
  10. If you haven't listened to a podcast before, what type of podcast would you like to listen to for your first try?

Hopefully, there are some fellow podcast listeners in the community! If not, I'm happy to help others give it a go. Looking forward to your comments 😁.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12101 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions

I'm rather boring with mine - most are football related. Most are also a little fruity when it comes to language.

Let's see if I can break the forum filters!
Top of the list is the Arsecast from Arseblog (a blog about Arsenal). Also included in the feed is the excellent Arsenal Women podcast.

They seem to have stopped, but Alan Davies used to do one called the Tuesday Club (or Not You Bentley).

Another that has stopped is the Dubland podcast, which was Suzanne Kane and PJ Gallagher talking all kinds of fun and nonsense.

There are a couple of music ones - Gareth Emery Electric for Life (also seems to have stopped) and the John 00 Fleming JOOF Radio (which is still going).

I also listen to some of the Athletic podcasts - Handbrake Off (Arsenal), the Athletic Women's Football and the main Athletic Football.

Finally Scott Sigler is an author who serialises some of his books himself and gives them away for free. Sci Fi/Horror is the main genre.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 7

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

How do you find the time for so many?! I'm so bad about listening regularly and then I end up with a huge backlog. 

Definitely going to be checking out the Scott Sigler one. That sounds right up my alley!

Message 3 of 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12101 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions

I don't!

I cheat a little and have them playing at 1.4x speed, but I am always behind - currently the episode I am listening to was published on 12th Sept...

You should be able to see his full catalogue @Breanna . I would recommend the Infected trilogy with Infected being the first. I warn you, it is not for the faint hearted or easily offended!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 7

Breanna
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

I would recommend the Infected trilogy with Infected being the first. I warn you, it is not for the faint hearted or easily offended!

200.gif

Message 5 of 7

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Must admit, I've never been one to bother with podcasts in the past but have done this year out of boredom. Mainly because I've been through my entire (ripped) music collection at least a couple of times and the youtube (free) music algorithm seems to hit repeat too often. Once in a while it produces some long forgotten gems but digressing a bit.

Amazon offered money to listen to a podcast so I tried the Peter Crouch one. Didn't quite like it to be honest and the other non-football offerings seemed a bit bland/mainstream for my liking on the Amazon platform. However, I have taken to listening to the Gerry Anderson podcast (https://www.gerryandersonpodcast.com) or via the AnderApp on the iPhone. A bit cheesy in parts but lots of interesting stuff about GA series like Stingray, Thunderbirds etc from his son who presents and fans alike. 

Kind of thinking I might look for one of these alien conspiracy podcasts. Certainly will make copy and pasting a report a lot more bearable 😂

Message 6 of 7

Breanna
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Stuff They Don't Want You to Know is pretty decent. My father is a cryptid believer so he followed the Darkness Prevails Podcast. I think it's called Unexplained Encounters now. It's good if you like to be aware of that part of the universe lol.

Message 7 of 7