Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei Crisis Over?

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Looks like the Liar in Chief has walked it back to make it look like he's the great deal maker. Not really surprised by this.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/29/us-china-trade-war-trump-and-xi-meet-at-g-20-summit-in-osaka.html

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

About the only thing I agree with Trump on is that China maybe guilty of Intellectual Property theft.

This was always likely to be a side effect of cheap contract manufacturing as not everyone is honest and if you are sending schematics to a third party and saying build this as cheaply as you can someone is going to say 'we can build our own version of this and earn a good margin'

In the West we have robust IP protection laws but of course China won't really give a stuff about these as the Communist Party just wants to stay in power and to do that it needs to keep the revenue rolling in.

There may indeed be some legitimate security concerns but Trump is happy to put these on the back burner if it gets him elected again.

I still find it amusing he believes that the Chinese were paying the tariffs.

Exactly that. All these companies were encouraged by governments to offshore for a) greater profits and b) "bring high quality jobs" to the home country by offshoring in the name of globalisation.

The latter, an outright lie as all it meant was that companies just offshored the lot since it was cheaper and the ones at the top get to have larger bonuses. Of course our government then realised that the tax receipts were less so the obvious thing to was increase taxes to cover which in turn makes it more expensive to hire people due to the tax burden enforced on companies e.g. National Insurance and now the Pension scheme. 

Message 11 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting thread this

I can't profess to understand all of which has been posted above

However, I do agree wholeheartedly with what has been said

Trump & Bozo together ... it bothers me greatly, these 2 *bleeps* should be put on minimum wage somewhere at the very least

Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

About the only thing I agree with Trump on is that China maybe guilty of Intellectual Property theft.

This was always likely to be a side effect of cheap contract manufacturing as not everyone is honest and if you are sending schematics to a third party and saying build this as cheaply as you can someone is going to say 'we can build our own version of this and earn a good margin'

In the West we have robust IP protection laws but of course China won't really give a stuff about these as the Communist Party just wants to stay in power and to do that it needs to keep the revenue rolling in.

There may indeed be some legitimate security concerns but Trump is happy to put these on the back burner if it gets him elected again.

I still find it amusing he believes that the Chinese were paying the tariffs.

Exactly that. All these companies were encouraged by governments to offshore for a) greater profits and b) "bring high quality jobs" to the home country by offshoring in the name of globalisation.

The latter, an outright lie as all it meant was that companies just offshored the lot since it was cheaper and the ones at the top get to have larger bonuses. Of course our government then realised that the tax receipts were less so the obvious thing to was increase taxes to cover which in turn makes it more expensive to hire people due to the tax burden enforced on companies e.g. National Insurance and now the Pension scheme. 

@sheepdog 

Wholesale protectionism isn't the answer but considering how smart the people that start the hi-tech companies are you'd think they wouldn't really want to hand over their 'secret sauce' to anyone would you?

Tax receipts are going down and the age of the population is going up of course so I can understand in a way the push to shift the pension liability onto the private sector as by doing so HM Government can ensure tax receipts will rise later on as people can put more in as opposed to the amount put into the pot each month for the state pension being relatively fixed.

That's why I started private stakeholder pension as soon as I could when I was in a stable job as I doubt very much the State Pension will exist in the future.

Message 13 of 15

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I agree with a lot of the above. Particularly the comments on how everything is carefully choreographed by Trump's people to make him and america look good.

Thanks

Steve
Message 14 of 15

John_McDonald
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I saw the news US ban will be lifted and Huawei published the new statement.  https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/campaign/huawei-answers/ It seems Huawei is so confident about its products. I think I don't have to exchange my Mate20 Pro. Good news!

Message 15 of 15