cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hannah Hauxwell dies aged 91

Anonymous
Not applicable

On 30 January 2018 Hannah Hauxwell died

She was a lovely gentle woman who featured in a 1983 tv docummentary called 'Too Long A Winter' showing her farming alone with no electricity & no running water

The First Lady Of The Yorkshire Dales ... ... ... is how I see her

Hannah Hauxwell RIP

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123020 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

I'm sad to say I didn't recognise the name until I did a search on Google.

Apparently she became the subject of an award-winning Yorkshire Television documentary, Too Long A Winter where she led a very frugal lifestyle.

R.I.P Hannah.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2018/02/01/hannah-hauxwell-yorkshire-hill-farmer-star-long-win...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's perhaps because the local tv company followed her story ... when the original docummentary was shown, it  created lots & lots of mail from well-wishers sending her money ... she was frugal all her life 

Image result for hannah hauxwell

Image result for hannah hauxwell

There were several more documentaries & books ... eg 'Seasons Of My Life'

She was surprised by Michael Aspel for 'This Is Your Life'

RIP Hannah ... you were one-of-a-kind 

Message 3 of 4

midders
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I saw the documentary when it came out, and we were staggered by the hard life she had, the little money she got by on, the harshness of the daily struggle to feed her animals in waist deep snow sometimes, and the utter kindness, innocence and compassion she had for the world and her place in it.    

You can see it on YouTube. I watched it again a couple of years ago, and believe me it puts our own "modern" problems to shame - but she never complains......

Very nice posts by the way.....you are all good people....

Message 4 of 4