Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOPE - the 02 Community Elephant

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25156 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The 02 Community is renown for its members offering help and for caring.

It is with great pleasure that I can announce that, thanks to the support of members of this Community, an adoption has been set up with the Born Free Foundation for what is known as the Elephant Family.

The Born Free Adoption Certificate will be in the name of the "02 Community".

It has been decided that one of these elephants should be named HOPE.

The adoption pack, with the adoption certifciate and photos of these beautiful creatures, should be received within the next few days and will be posted on this thread.

In the meantime, here is a short video of these beautiful elephants and the Born Free Foundation:

https://www.bornfree.org.uk/video-hub?page=2

scroll down and click "Adopt the Elephant Family" to watch

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 212
211 REPLIES 211

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

At last some good news about this horrendous trade @Mi-Amigo 

However, I just have the feeling that the ivory trade will continue until EVERY country signs up to the deal.

Let's face it, this is big business in China where they are so STUPID, they think ivory is an aphrodisiac! 

Also the big game hunters shoot canned lions who are bred for the purpose of hunting.

The whole business makes me sick. rage

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 201 of 212

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10769 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Hope they mean it @Mi-Amigo
I always have a great sadness about our creatures great and small .....can't believe what I read or hear sometimes...humans don't treat other species with care and respect.
I know many do love and care alot regrettably won't balance the great hurt.
Thank you for posting the news.
Good luck little Hope and all your friends and family ❤

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 202 of 212

RunrigForever
Level 19: Quirky
  • 2167 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello @Mi-Amigo 

Do you have any news of HOPE ?

***DESORMAIS***
Message 203 of 212

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25156 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your recent post @RunrigForever 

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any recent news of the elephants in Amboseli, where Hope is.

However, by an internet search, I have found a video taken about a month ago of elephants in Amboseli which I thought I should share on here. I am not sure if Hope is one of the elephants in the video but thought  @Cleoriff @TallTrees @jonsie @Martin-O2 and others, who have followed the story of these wonderful animals since the adoption through the Born Free Foundation, might want to see. 

As and when  come across any news on the elephants, I`ll post it on the thread.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 204 of 212

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

That's a beautiful video @Mi-Amigo. Probably two herds who have come together. Lots of young elephants about. So easy to imagine one may be Hope.

Thanks for posting. x

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 205 of 212

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10769 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Thank you for posting this video @Mi-Amigo 

They all look very relaxed and happy, nice to see.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 206 of 212

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Appreciate the update @Mi-Amigo 😊

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 207 of 212

RunrigForever
Level 19: Quirky
  • 2167 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for updating us @Mi-Amigo. It is comforting to see a lot of elephants relaxed. I have followed this thread from the beginning under my previous username of WispaRed7. I needed some time away from the forum for health and family reasons. I am passionate about World Conservation and support local, national and international animal charities. Well remember Elsa the lioness in Born Free film and melodic theme song by Matt Monroe. Thank you again for taking time to research Amboseli xx

***DESORMAIS***
Message 208 of 212

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Slightly off topic but with reference to the charities mentioned above by @RunrigForever. I see a new animal charity is now calling for funds to help with all the abandoned animals in Ukraine. Tragically many people who fled to avoid Putin and his terrible invasion of their country, had to leave their animals behind. So after a month, dogs and cats are roaming the streets and are starving and shocked. Also animals in Zoo's are in an awful state. . I hope everyone, human and animal, gets the care they need sooner rather than later.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 209 of 212

RunrigForever
  • 2167 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello @Mi-Amigo I hope (No Pun Intended) you are alright ?

Just re-watched the rangers video above

Again, I hope our HOPE the little elephant is well too and with the herd in Amboseli park

I once had my photo taken with Annie the elephant with one of the Roberts in his own Roberts Circus ... she, I believe is now in somewhere like Longleat wildlife park ... she was held on her left foot by a heavy chain and Mr Roberts in full regalia asked for people to come up for photos ... yep, I was with all the little kids ... at the end of the show you could exit the Big Top left to see the animals in their living quarters for 50p ... sadly I had to find the ladies conveniences pronto, so missed out on that ... ... ... not long after the circus was disbanded as it was found out some of the animal carers were found out to be mistreating the animals they were supposed to be looking after !

In Europe you find such as Big Cats in small 'containers' in appalling conditions.

'It wasn't until I grew up, I found out that the most dangerous thing was human' ... = ... quote off Fb.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 210 of 212