Did you mean: 

HOLY WEEK

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126337 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7556 Solutions

A quick explanation of my involvement.

@RunrigForeverwished to do a piece on Holy Week with the help of @Dave-O2 (not realising he was away.)

I offered to help with editing and images:

Story/Script/Research = @RunrigForever 

Editing/Layout/Images = @Cleoriff 

HOLY WEEK

HW Holy Land.jpg

Holy Land

Palm Sunday ..... when Jesus entered Jerusalem in triumph on the back of a lowly beast = a donkey ...the people cheered and threw palm leaves at the feet of the donkey. = ... Nubian donkeys bear a cross (of Jesus) upon their backs still today.

HW Jesus on donkey.jpg

Jesus entering Jerusalem in triumph.

HW Donkey with cross.jpg

Nubian Donkey with the cross on their back.

Holy Monday ..... Jesus overturned the tables in the city as there was 'unfair trading'.

Holy Tuesday ..... Jesus continued his teaching, but the powers that were, then began plotting against him and his teaching. Jesus foretold of his crucifixion to his disciples.

Holy Wednesday or Spy Wednesday ..... Judas was a very close friend of Jesus and his betrayal would harm him immensely.

HW Judas Betrayal.jpg

Judas' betrayal of Jesus

Maunday Thursday ..... In celebration of The Last Supper some churches have a Maunday meal. In the Garden of Gethsemane Jesus was alone. Judas betrayed Jesus and in remorse at what he had done, took his own life.

HW The Last Supper.jpg

The Last Supper

Good Friday ..... The day of the Crucifixion ..... Pontius Pilate found Jesus guilty and sentenced him to death. Jesus was nailed to the cross he had been forced to carry. The sky went dark and Jesus looked to the heavens above… 'Father, Father, why has thou forsaken me ?'.

HW Jesus carrying cross.jpg

Jesus carrying the cross.

HW Jesus Nailed to cross.jpg

Jesus Nailed to the cross

Holy Saturday – Jesus died on the cross. A secret disciple, Joseph of Arimathea, asked Pilate if he could take take Jesus' body for burial. Permission granted, he removed Jesus from the cross and wrapped the body in linen. Joseph placed the body in his own new tomb that he had cut out, rolled a stone in front of it and left.

HW Jesus in Tomb.jpg

Easter Day (Sunday) ..... His friends found the stone rolled away to the side of the entrance to the cave which was now empty... He Had Risen ...

(There is a song called 'Roll Away the Stone’ by Mott the Hoople. Good title but the lyrics show it has nothing to do with the Crucifixion)

The EASTER STORY is Neverending !

When looking at Holy Week, I did a bit of research. I read about His various sightings in the area ... ... ... the origin of the phrase 'a Doubting Thomas'.
Watch and marvel at the film 'Jesus Christ Superstar' filmed in suitable landscape with fantastic timeless music ... ... ... Read the book 'The Robe' by Lloyd Douglas ... ... ... Read the book or watch the film 'The Big Fisherman' starring Rock Hudson ... ... ... the film 'Ben Hur' is relevant and filmed in Technicolour or Cinemascope ... ... ...

On Palm Sunday and in church, folded palm crosses are given out = I used to keep mine in a narrow necked vase.

HW Palm Cross.jpg

Family Easter-time reminds me of when my mum would cook a fillet of lamb, traditional at Easter ..... we would send traditional Easter cards in our later lives ..... an Easter egg apiece with my sister ..... fluffy snowy white lambs playing in the fields ..... the promise of Spring like weather ..... I have researched why Easter is a moveable religious feast and have come up with conflicting results = something to do with the phase of the moon and something to do with the powerful religious people who set Easter time well in advance of next year’s diaries being printed = you choose.

Did you know Simnel Cake with 11 spheres on top representing the Apostles is relevant to Holy Week?

Only 11 spheres as Judas was not included.

HW Simnel Cake.jpg

It has been a pleasure composing this piece for Holy Week Easter 2024 on O2C. Couldn't have done it without the encouragement of @Cleoriff and her editing and posting relevant pictures. Thank you Cleo.

All enjoy Easter ❤️

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25665 Posts
  • 863 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

A very interesting and informative thread.

Thank you @RunrigForever for coming up with the idea for the topic and special thanks to @Cleoriff for the additional reasearch and finding the images which enhance the text - must have taken you some time.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 21 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 126337 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7556 Solutions

As for the video of the Easter Parade in Malta @pgn, it's not unlike the one which takes place in Spain.

It's called Semana Santa. I've watched it a few times when I've been there for Easter. Very elaborate with gold massive plinths and loads of pageantry

Those who have experienced the passion and pageantry of Semana Santa know that this is one of Spain’s most soul-stirring celebrations.

Religious associations known as cofradías or ‘brotherhoods’ are at the heart of the traditional ceremonies.

Many brotherhoods date back to the Middle Ages.

Semana Santa processions are also known as ‘penance processions’ in which members of the brotherhoods, nazarenos, parade from their church to the city’s cathedral carrying floats, known as tronos.

Precious religious icons are brought out of churches and paraded on immense golden thrones in lavish processions that bring millions of locals and tourists together in the run-up to Easter.

From Holy Thursday to Easter Sunday, city centre thoroughfares come to a standstill to make way for these mega fiestas. 

My apartment on the Costa Del Sol was in a little town called Arroyo de la Miel, which has many winding narrow streets. How they got these massive plinths round those streets without damage was amazing. If I'm honest I wasn't keen on this procession and thats because we took our grandson who was 4 at the time and he was frightened and cried at 'the funny men in the pointy hoods'.

It was too sombre and strange for him.

I did begin to think that the penitents looked like the Ku Klux Klan. (which is a bad thing but I won't forget how terrified my grandson was.)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 35

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38741 Posts
  • 241 Topics
  • 1740 Solutions

No, the mix was purely to scent the proceedings with scents reminiscent of those around at the time of Christ's Passion, from the scents of the garden where He was arrested to the oils used to prepare a corpse for burial.

Remember, fasting rules in previous times meant people would not be permitted to consume such potions, assuming it was not a lethal concoction anyway (a zinc or tin bucket?), at the time between Maundy Thursday through to dawn on Easter Sunday.

Message 23 of 35

pgn
  • 38741 Posts
  • 241 Topics
  • 1740 Solutions

Some of the so-called Holy Orders were scary - Knights of St John of Jerusalem and spin-offs, the Crusades in the name of the Holy Roman Emperor, Carthusian monks, Opus Dei, etc ... Just watch Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, with Sean Connery - some of the Orders were so strict in their beliefs... Not surprised you thought what you did, or that your son was scared witless @Cleoriff 😱

Message 24 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 126337 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7556 Solutions

@RunrigForever wrote:

What a lovely thread this has turned out to be ..... big thank you's to @Cleoriff 

There is information I didn't know and humour as ever from our @jonsie 

Thank you @Enlli for fascinating knowledge

@pgn for that wonderful mix - I'd have some now - no tomorrow on Maundy Thursday when it will  be interesting to see our Monarch give out Maundy money to the years he has been reigning.

@TallTrees I clearly remember the picture of Simnel cake in an old cookery book = a wedding present from my mum. The book was by Marguerite Patten.

A really nice colaberation piece with @Cleoriff ..... lovely presentation, thank you very much Cleo xx 

Yes it turned out better than I expected @RunrigForever and quite a learning curve as well.

So interesting to hear of other traditions, both here and abroad.

Hope you have a good time meeting up with your friends.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 126337 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7556 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

A very interesting and informative thread.

Thank you @RunrigForever for coming up with the idea for the topic and special thanks to @Cleoriff for the additional reasearch and finding the images which enhance the text - must have taken you some time.

Thenks @Mi-Amigo.

Tbh, I had so many pictures I could have used, the only difficulty was choosing which to put in. 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 35

TallTrees
Level 50: Versatile
  • 11252 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 374 Solutions

Well @jonsie 

Couldn't have put it better myself 🤣

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 27 of 35

TallTrees
Level 50: Versatile
  • 11252 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 374 Solutions

Love Malta @pgn @Cleoriff 

They always have time for an evening parade, lovely evenings street vendors out too. 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 28 of 35

pgn
  • 38741 Posts
  • 241 Topics
  • 1740 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@pgn 

That's fascinating.. Was the Sepulchre mix given to parishioners to drink at any time when it cooled off?

(I agree it looks awful but according to you, smelled wonderful)

I note it contained a great deal of wine so surely that wasn't wasted?

I mean, mulled wine at Christmas or anytime in winter, is meant to be given to anyone who wants it? 😂

I don't even think rats ventured near one of those pots - they were purely to give aromatic overtones to a musty church that was standing doors wide open (remember the time between Good Friday and Easter Sunday Morning is the only time you don't have to bow towards the altar as you enter a church, as there is nothing there: the tabernacle is open, empty... ) and chock-full of people who have been or are going to watch the hours-long parade in the (usually) April heat.

No, not for imbibing, that stuff, at all.

Message 29 of 35

RunrigForever
Level 21: Regular
  • 2907 Posts
  • 38 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your kind comment, some way above now @Mi-Amigo 

Thank you @Cleoriff I had a good time with a friend who I used to see regularly but now lives some  way out of town only really accessible when the trains are running.

Very interesting about the parades @Cleoriff @pgn ... I think I would have been frightened too of people in pointy hats.

Have a Happy Easter All xx 💖

***DESORMAIS***
Message 30 of 35