Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great British Bake Off 2021

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25666 Posts
  • 863 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The popular TV show "Great British Bake Off" returns to Ch 4 next Tuesday - 21 September - with Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith and presented by Matt Lucas and Noel Fielding.

The contestants have been announced 

MiAmigo_0-1631782770016.jpeg

Left-right:
Crystelle. Lizzie, Freya. George, Chigs, Giuseppe, Amanda, Tom, Jairzeno. Rochica, Jürgen and Maggie

Crystelle, 26, client relationship manager from London inspired by Portugese-Goan-Kenyan heritage.

Lizzie, 28, car production operative from Liverpool, described as "frantic and messy on the outside but is usually calm and collected within" 

Freya, 19, psychology student from North Yorkshire, youngest baker in tent this year, vegan, says she likes to be "unexpected" with her baking.

George, 34, shared lives co-ordinator from London, from Greek-Cypriot family, says his strength is "creative flair"

Chigs, 40, sales manager from Leicestershire, used online tutorials during lockdown to learn complex bakes and chocolate work.

Giuseppe, 45, chief engineer from Bristol, Italian-born inherited baking from his father, a professional chef. 

Amanda, 56, Metropolitan Police detective in London, baking heavily influenced by her Greek-Cypriot heritage.

Tom, 28, developer for family software company in Kent, says baking was "a welcome escape" during lockdown.

Jairzeno, 51, head of finance in London, moved from Trinidad 15 years ago, obsesses over flavour cominations, particularly using Caribbean spices. 

Rochica, 27, junior HR business partner from Birmingham, turned to baking when unable to dance due to injury, says her weakness is "getting flustered and everything going wrong".

Jurgen, German-born, moved to UK 18 years ago, lives in Sussex, IT professional, started baking when couldn`t buy German bread. 

Maggie, 70, retired nurse and midwife from Dorset, oldest contestant - loves canoeing, sailing, going out in her campervan.

A real mix of ages and characters this time.

I love GBBO. 

Anyone else going to be watching?

As with previous series, why not give your feedback on the show, the contestants, and the baking rounds after the show?

Looking forward to GBBO 2021 and your comments from next week. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60

Mi-Amigo
  • 25666 Posts
  • 863 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff for the write up on DAIRY-FREE and GLUTEN-FREE GBBO WEEK.

Here`s my opinion on the rounds.

SIGNATURE - Some seemed to struggle with how to make the dairy-free ice-cream for the sandwiches but all - except for Lizzie`s - did look good.

TECHNICAL - as someone who loves Greggs vegan sausage rolls, I had no idea how difficult it is to make.

All of the bakers had problems and, in my opinion, none of them shone - some were better than others.

Crystelle knew hers was a disaster and didn`t seem too surprised she came bottom, given Paul`s reaction to her accompany dip. Chigs came top as the best of a fairly bad lot.

SHOW STOPPER. After the poor show in Technical, all of the bakers upped their game. Jurgen doing three tiers instead of two; Lizzie trying to do "finesse"; and Crystelle going all out as she knew she was in danger of going home. Before the break, Paul commented that Crystelle was inconsistent - sometimes producing a stunning bake, other times failing. For once, I agree with Paul and I`m sure Crystelle was more than aware of this.

When it came to the results, Chigs got star baker - which I agree with. In my opinion, Chigs did a better Show Stopper than Jurgen and did come top in the Technical. I thought Guiseppe came a close second to being Star Baker this time. As to who was eliminated. Lizzie went home. It was close between her and Crystelle but, in my opinion, Crystelle edged it with her Show Stopper to keep her in the tent.

The semi-final is an open book and can see some fierce competition next week.

The friendly rivalry between Jurgen and Guiseppe has been seen over the past few weeks but wouldn`t rule Chigs out of making it to the final as he`s been steady and consistently improving. Which leave Crystelle. In my opinion, if she gets her act together and bakes as well as she can across each of the rounds could be in the final.

My personal choice for the final? Guiseppe, Chigs, Crystelle.

I know not everyone - or maybe no-one - will agree with me.

What do our GBBO fans - @Cleoriff @lewys-gp - and anyone else think ?  

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 51 of 61

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126346 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7556 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo 

No I don't think Crystelle deserves a place in the final. Actually I think she should have gone home last night.

Her biscuits weren't that good, Lizzie beat her by two places and Lizzie's showstopper (in my opinion) was far better. Crystelle does a great piped rose and uses that decoration constantly.

So I certainly don't think she should be in the final.

If you look back, as Paul mentioned, she has been inconsistent. Sometimes being borderline bottom two.

Jurgen, on the other hand, has been consistently good....apart from yesterday

so for me, my finalists are Jurgen, Guiseppe and Chigs.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 52 of 61

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Sadly, I haven't watched it as of late 🙃. This happens with me dependent on the season; sometimes I never miss an episode and others I lose interest. The latter has obviously and sadly occurred with this season!

I'm trying to avoid the spoilers in your comments, as I may end up binge watching it one weekend soon 🤔. Slightly off-topic but I have been into Portrait Artist of the Year recently. I find it a lot to be like Bake Off, to be honest! Obviously, without the cakes 😂. It's so interesting to see how different each of the artists' paintings are, even though they're all painting the same person.

Sorry if the above isn't that relevant. I'll try and catch up with Bake Off soon 😆🍰. Hope you're both enjoying it, @Cleoriff @Mi-Amigo!

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 53 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 126346 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7556 Solutions

I started watching Portrait Artist @lewys-gp  but we have a problem here. When two people are watching the TV in the evening and have totally different tastes in what we like to watch, there are problems. In fairness I get my own way most of the time but I can't push it too much. I mean I like two soaps Emmerdale and Coronation Street and Ray doesn't. I like SCD, Dancing on Ice, I'm a celeb get me out of here, and F1. Ray could go to bed when they are on.

Trouble is, he plays bowls and the season ended in September so the TV watching causes some problems here 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 54 of 61

lewys-gp
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I see 🤣. The joys of having to share a TV, eh? Well, I promise I'll try and catch up on Bake Off ASAP. 

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 55 of 61

Mi-Amigo
  • 25666 Posts
  • 863 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Last night`s GBBO was the semi-final with four bakers - Guieseppe; Jurgen; Crystelle; and Chigs.

This week is Patisserie Week.

SIGNATURE - 8 patisserie-styled layer slices. All of the bakers did well and produced what looked like nice bakes. Paul gave his famous handshake to all of the bakers - except Jurgen. Why ? I thought that was very unfair and the others were all shocked that Jurgen had been left out.

TECHNICAL - sable Breton tart [which Paul said was the "toughest technical yet"]. Some bakers struggled - Crystelle restarted her meringue; Chigs couldn`t find his piping nozzle. Jurgen went for it, having missed out on the handshake in the Signature. In Technical Challenge - 1st Jurgen; 2nd Guiseppe; 3rd Crystelle; 4th Chigs. 

It was now a close run thing - Jurgen was back in contention; Chigs had slipped - it was down to the

SHOW STOPPER - themed banquet display [with bakers having 5 hours, so we had very much reduced/edited version]. Crystelle - candle-centre piece for wedding; Chigs - "Apple doesn`t fall far from the tree"; Jurgen - "Torri gate by the sea"; Guiseppe - "Leaning Tower of Pisa". The judges aren`t impressed with Guiseppe or Jurgen. Tension mounted and after the break it was announced that the Star Baker was Crystelle...

It was down to who would be going home..... Jurgen !!!!! Everyone was shocked...

My opinion...

SIGNATURE - they all deserved handshake. TECHNICAL - judges got it right. SHOWSTOPPER - although Crystelle`s bake looked good, Guiseppe pulled it back [and with handshake in SIGNATURE; 2nd in TECH] shoud have been Star Baker. As to who should have gone home... In my opinio, between Chigs and Jurgen.

In TECH - Chigs 4th; Jurgen 1st; in SHOWSTOPPER - Chigs tree collapsed and he repaired it, Jurgen`s was better. So on that, I think Chigs should have gone home.

Next week - the FINAL with Guiseppe; Crystelle; Chigs...

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 56 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 126346 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7556 Solutions

Signature

I noticed the 3 handshakes and thought it grossly unfair. Obviously played on Jurgens mind as he mentioned it a couple of times.  Pru said twice SHE would have given him a handshake!

All the bakes looked good

Technical Breton tart.

Jurgen was the only person who got anywhere near the offering Pru made. and quite rightly he came top.

(with Chigs last.). So I put that 2-1 to Jurgen.

\Showstopper.

I wasn't that impressed with any if honest. Crystelle did her usual roses and we all know she is good at that.

Chigs tree broke but he fixed it. His apples were meant to be red but pink.

Jurgen missed a part of bridge and had to rebake one strip.

When it came to the tasting the judges liked Crystelles cake the best.

Both Guiseppe and Jurgen were criticised slightly

Voting Jurgen off seems that the judges totally ignored the technical section. I'm not happy with Jurgen being eliminated. He was one of my favourites.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 57 of 61

Mi-Amigo
  • 25666 Posts
  • 863 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff 

I agree Jurgen should not have been eliminated and with him against Guiseppie in the final would have made great viewing - especially with the friendly rivalry between them.

Last night`s show seemed to confirm what I`ve said previously. Paul takes not a blind bit of notice of how well someone does in the Technical. FGS someone comes top in what, as the name says is a demonstration of technical abillity, and gets booted off... how do they figure that out or justify it ??

Guiseppe is my fav to win GBBO now - but got a sneaky feeling it might be Chigs [given overheard comment from Paul last night about Chig`s rise from when he started in the tent].

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 58 of 61

Cleoriff
  • 126346 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7556 Solutions

Yes I'd love Guiseppe to win. Overall he (along with Jurgen) have had star baker more than anyone else.

I think Chigs is Paul's favourite. He has done well considering he wasn't baking anything a year ago.

Bottom line, it doesn't matter one jot WHEN he started baking. He has to be better than the others and I don't think he is!! Certainly NOT as good as Jurgen!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 59 of 61

Mi-Amigo
  • 25666 Posts
  • 863 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

GBBO - THE FINAL

This week is the final with Guiseppe, Crystelle, and Chigs.

Each of the bakers has received two Paul handshakes and each of the bakers has been Star Baker twice.

SIGNATURE - Carrot Cake.

Guiseppe - fig and walnut carrot cake. Paul said it was underbaked; Crystelle - cardomom and orange carrot cake. Paul said it was not the best looking; Chigs - anise and pineapple carrot cake. Paul said it was rubbery.

None of the bakers seemed to shine.

TECHNICAL - 12 Belgian buns filled with lemon curd and sultanas.

Guiseppe`s judged to be overbaked and dry; Crystelle`s judged to be uneven but tasted OK; Chigs`s judged to be too small and chewy. Guiseppe = 3rd; Chigs = 2nd; Crystelle = 1st.

SHOWSTOPPER - Mad Hatters Tea Party with four different disciplies.

Crystelle - edible clock; Chigs - Cheshire Cat in Leicester City colours; Guiseppe - toadstools, hearts cards.

Guiseppe found oven wasn`t on as door had been left open, lost 15 mins and raced to catch up.

Chigs finished early.

Paul said Guiseppe`s was simple but effective; Chig`s loooked impressive; Crystelle`s looked impressive but her focaccia was raw.

After break, bakers assembled with friends and families outside and invited to step forward.

Noel announced the winner of Great British Bake Off 2021 - GUISEPPE.

In my opinion, Guiseppe deserved to win. He may have come third in technical but throughout GBBO showed some stunning bakes.     

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 60 of 61