Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula One 2021.

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

So the new season will start in March and Australia was planned as usual to be the opening track. Now it looks set to be cancelled. (March 21st)

I have heard via someone who lives in Australia that although Covid related, nothing to do with that per se. More due to the fact, they are not prepared to run it without spectators. It's a street circuit and they make millions from the fans and ticket prices.

I'm inclined to agree with that. The Covid Bubble teams have put in place seemed to work well, 3 drivers out of 20 catching a mild dose and 3 team staff...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/formula-1-season-opener-in-australia-set-for-postponement/4935595... 

It means that the Bahrain Grand Prix scheduled for 28 March now looks poised to become the 2021 season opener.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 881
880 REPLIES 880

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

FP2

Leclerc put his car in the barrier towards the end of P2. It was a high speed crash and left the car as a total write off. He was unhurt luckily.

Max appeared to be struggling with the softs. I repeat this is great but frightening track.

Brundle who is trackside, sounds frightened to death.

Jeddah P2.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 801 of 881

Anonymous
Not applicable

I watched both practice sessions today and it is an incredible track, great to watch from the onboard cameras but it really did look dangerous though, especially with some cars driving so slow during practice. 

The qualifying sessions will be interesting tomorrow.

I think there is sure to be at least one safety car during the race, and that could prove to be tricky with race strategy. 

Message 802 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

If I was Lewis in Qualifying, I would get out first in Q3 as he did in Qatar. That way he can hopefully miss yellow and red flags and set a good lap time.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 803 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

FP3.

Lewis is on his way to see the stewards for dawdling on track. An incident with cars approaching from behind Mazepin and Gasly. On neither occasion did the team let him know the position of the others cars. Edited to add: A Penalty may be coming Lewis's way because apparently there were yellow flags involved. No commentator knows anything about the flags!

Jeddah P3.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 804 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Just seen the yellow flag incident. Went off as he reached it. No further action The yellow flag was triggered accidentality and turned off within a second before LH reached it.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 805 of 881

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, that was an amazing qualifying session - Hamilton was fastest and got pole, but Verstappen was absolutely on it on his last lap and hit the wall. You have to hand it to Verstappen for trying so hard when he has an 8 point lead, it was pole or nothing in his mind. 

Message 806 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Qualifying

Very Very lucky qualifying for Lewis. In Q3 Max was on for pole then hit the wall. He ends up P3 with Merc locking out  the front row. FIA announced during qualifying "that anyone who wanted to appeal the decision could do so, up to 30 mins after Qualifying, In all my many years of watching F1 I have never heard that said!!

So we have a situation where

1) Lewis COULD end up with a penalty for yellow lights and

2) Max COULD take a grid penalty depending what damage he's done to car.

Jeddah Qualy.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 807 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

If Max had pulled that lap off, it would have been remembered as the Lap of the season. He didn't, so now you have to wonder whether the team told him Hamilton was on pole and he went at it too hard, Bottom line he put it in the wall, probably the difference between a World Champion and someone who only knows one speed to drive at. If he needs a new gearbox he will have a grid penalty.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 808 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

RED BULL NOT APPEALING. (too busy sorting Max's car I expect.) Lol

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 809 of 881

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's an incredibly tricky track and Hamilton very nearly dropped it right at the start of Q3, but saved it.

Verstappen needs one win and one second place to be champion, I think he just went for it knowing as long as he gets a second place he still needs to get just the one win. He was a bit unlucky to catch the wall at an angle, if he had hit it side-on he would probably have survived to drive back to the pits. Even if he gets a 5 place grid penalty he will probably still finish second anyway with his pace.

Anything can happen at this track tomorrow that's for sure.

Message 810 of 881