Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula One 2021.

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

So the new season will start in March and Australia was planned as usual to be the opening track. Now it looks set to be cancelled. (March 21st)

I have heard via someone who lives in Australia that although Covid related, nothing to do with that per se. More due to the fact, they are not prepared to run it without spectators. It's a street circuit and they make millions from the fans and ticket prices.

I'm inclined to agree with that. The Covid Bubble teams have put in place seemed to work well, 3 drivers out of 20 catching a mild dose and 3 team staff...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/formula-1-season-opener-in-australia-set-for-postponement/4935595... 

It means that the Bahrain Grand Prix scheduled for 28 March now looks poised to become the 2021 season opener.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 881
880 REPLIES 880

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

And Hamilton needs to win both to be an 8th WDC. Max has the upper hand and that's for sure but as you say anything can happen at this track @Anonymous (and probably will!) Valium time for me 😂

The grandson will be here today. He's a Max fan. 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 811 of 881

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think Hamilton has the upper hand now after getting pole, he has the best chance of a win today and has the impetus, then it's all on the last race. But the track is a real unknown.

Hamilton's pole was a great lap but Verstappen's attempt was as close to perfection as you will ever see, but just not quite, and ultimately a failed attempt. 

I have always said that in my opinion; if a driver doesn't finish the lap and the car has to be recovered during a qualification session, then that driver should lose their times during the session (So be 10th on the grid)

Otherwise a driver can just spoil a session while holding the fastest lap (Rosberg!) 

Really looking forward to today race @Cleoriff , hope you and your grandson enjoy it and no fighting 😂

Message 812 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I think Hamilton has the upper hand now after getting pole, he has the best chance of a win today and has the impetus, then it's all on the last race. But the track is a real unknown.

Hamilton's pole was a great lap but Verstappen's attempt was as close to perfection as you will ever see, but just not quite, and ultimately a failed attempt. 

I have always said that in my opinion; if a driver doesn't finish the lap and the car has to be recovered during a qualification session, then that driver should lose their times during the session (So be 10th on the grid)

Otherwise a driver can just spoil a session while holding the fastest lap (Rosberg!) 

Really looking forward to today race @Cleoriff , hope you and your grandson enjoy it and no fighting 😂

I held my breath during Hamilton's last lap fight for pole as the Mercs struggled to get their tyres in the right window. However, never write Lewis off, as time and time again he pulls it out of the bag.

Now this will look snidey but I'll say it anyway. Max started a stunning lap, enough for pole BUT HE MESSED UP. Putting it in the wall immediately writes off how 'brilliant' that lap 'could have been'

If I'm honest, today is one race I'd rather Ben watched at his home. 😂

Oh yes re finishing a lap, I agree. Max ruined Checo's lap when he binned his car.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 813 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Just turned over to F1. Apparently Max is not taking any penalty.Gearbox is ok. So he still takes 3rd position. (Watched part of F2...crazy! Fittipaldi taken to hospital after a 72G crash and 3 red flags. Race stopped 10 mins before the end. Still working out who won!)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 814 of 881

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a crazy track, but I think a lot of confusion was caused by race control not communicating properly, also I'm pretty sure Verstappen was looking for contact with Hamilton on more than one occasion during the race.  

Message 816 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

If I'm honest I would call it a clusterf**k. Safety cars, restarts, Masi bargaining with RBR "We'll give you 3rd after Ocon and Hamilton, is that ok?" YOU WHAT!! Poor communication, FIA telling Max to give the place back, but told Merc after that and LH hadn't been told! Straight into the back of Max and damaged the front wing. Max with a 5 sec penalty for god know which dirty move he pulled.

In the end Lewis got the place back on his own after several attempts by Max to push him off track

Jeddah Race.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 817 of 881

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 818 of 881

Anonymous
Not applicable

There was no reason for Verstappen to slow down so dramatically if he was trying to let Hamilton go by, he was trying to cause an incident imo. Then when he does let Hamilton go by he re-overtakes and cuts the corner by braking far too late (I think that is why he got the 5 second penalty) 

Verstappen's driving etiquette was questionable to say the least, and he gets driver of the day... ? confused

Going to watch the highlights on CH4 at 10:00 to see it again... 

Message 819 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I'm glad I recorded it as I will watch it again. Also recorded Ch4 highlights but I can't watch that tonight as my husband hates F1 and as this went on so long, I was pleased my grandson was here as at least he chatted to his grandad which made it less painful for him 😂

I must watch the press conference on You Tube with the top 3 because Sky showed a bit of it with Lewis talking. He was saying how he always tried to drive clean and he was being pushed to the limit this season. Obvious what he meant and I want to see Max's response.

He was such a sulk he walked off the podium without celebrating.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 820 of 881