Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formula One 2021.

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

So the new season will start in March and Australia was planned as usual to be the opening track. Now it looks set to be cancelled. (March 21st)

I have heard via someone who lives in Australia that although Covid related, nothing to do with that per se. More due to the fact, they are not prepared to run it without spectators. It's a street circuit and they make millions from the fans and ticket prices.

I'm inclined to agree with that. The Covid Bubble teams have put in place seemed to work well, 3 drivers out of 20 catching a mild dose and 3 team staff...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/formula-1-season-opener-in-australia-set-for-postponement/4935595... 

It means that the Bahrain Grand Prix scheduled for 28 March now looks poised to become the 2021 season opener.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 881
880 REPLIES 880

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

No point. I won't be saying any more. It's all been said.

I just get annoyed that folk start talking trash about 'his ego'.He actually SHOULD have an ego considering all he has done for Mercedes (notwithstanding the fact they have given him a race winning car which he helped develop)

The sponsorship he brings to Mercedes would pay his salary 5 times over.

Throughout his journey to the top, he has remained quite humble in my opinion.

Roll on March and Bahrain, whether Hamilton is in the Merc or not.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 881

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Love your passion Den slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Love your passion Den slight_smile

Ah well some people love football and don't call Messi egotistical when he earns 104 mill a year for kicking a ball about.

I love F1 and wouldn't call LH egostistical if he is asking for 40 mill a year for driving a car at 200kph for our entertainment.

All a matter of perspective really.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 881

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriffjust because I don’t post links doesn’t mean I’m discourteous or make my posts irrelevant.
I’ve posted several other comments without links and you’ve never taken umbrage until now.. because he’s your poster boy.

Eddie Jordan not relevant to Motorsport? Now I know it's because someone is attacking your boy.

LINK 
LINK 

and as for Ola K being removed, means he was there up to a certain point and would know something about it..

Is it any more relevant now because I've posted links? Nope, just the same as before. 

(oh as for the money paid to these people(no matter what sport) , it's all obscene.

edit (500th time because this Moto G Keeps crashing Chrome)

you said it yourself, he wants a slice of the action if they win the constructors. He's a driver and that's what he's paid for.. 

so im not sure which bit of the bold text is presumptious

Message 24 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Oh I see. The Daily (Hate Hamilton) Express.  That fount of all F1 knowledge.

They have been posting click bait articles for two weeks now.

Re Eddie Jordan....what I actually said was....

"As for Eddie Jordan, when did he suddenly become relevant? Never has been for years.

(Or has he been sitting in on the contract talks as well?)"

Lewis Hamilton is not my poster boy. He is my favourite F1 driver of this current era.

My poster boy of F1 is/was Ayrton Senna.

As I said, if Hamilton isn't racing next year, I will be sad but won't stop me watching F1. I've been following the sport for 50 years and don't intend to stop anytime soon.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 881

Anonymous
Not applicable
Heaven forbid anyone should quote a source you don’t like!
As for Eddie Jordan, you’re so right he probably hasn’t been sat in on the talks, but then again neither have you or me.. does that make our opinions irrelevant too? Of course it doesn’t. But Eddie probably has more of an ear to the situation that two random bods on a forum.

I apologise, Ayrton Senna is your poster boy, not Lewis Hamilton.

Message 26 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I missed this.

I'm entitled to prefer certain sources to others when it comes to F1 reporting @Anonymous 

I prefer Motorsport, Autosport, F1:70 GP Fans and other F1 sources of repute.

Rags like Essentially Sports are usually written by students studying F1.

The reason I don't like the Express or Mail is because they are in the habit of creating headlines with little or no substance. Clickbait articles.

The Express online has gone to town on the Hamilton contract discussions. Often repeated, rehashed or quoted from 'a source'.

Today alone they have printed 2 articles about the contract.

Over the last 3 days we have had these.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1384910/Lewis-Hamilton-contract-Mercedes-F1-news-Eddie-Jordan

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1384985/Lewis-Hamilton-contract-Mercedes-Ayrton-Senna-Eddie-Jordan

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1384394/Lewis-Hamilton-copying-Michael-Schumacher-George-Russell-contract-demand-F1-news

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1384302/Lewis-Hamilton-contract-2021-will-new-Mercedes-deal-be-announced-soon-evg

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1384404/Lewis-Hamilton-contract-Mercedes-F1-news-Formula-One

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1383879/Lewis-Hamilton-contract-Mercedes-F1-news-Formula-One

According to them Eddie Jordan was alleged to have said, they should use the Ayrton Senna tactics on him. ie 'So he died, what a shame, there are plenty of other drivers out there to take his place'.

I don't think Eddie Jordan has any more information than anyone else. He was probably asked for his 'thoughts' and said what he felt.

There is obviously some sticking point in these negotiations. Is it money? Is it length of contract? Is it his support for BLM? Is it something else? Do they want George Russell and using him as a bargaining tool? Who knows?...but while we wait, the Express will keep printing articles just to make sure we don't forget Hamilton has yet to sign a contract!

However, Toto has said on the Mercedes AMG site, the rumours are untrue and the contract 'could be negotiated up until the end of February'. 

As I said previously, I will be sad to see Hamilton go but still look forward to the first race in Bahrain, with or without him.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 881

Anonymous
Not applicable

You’re entitled to whatever you want, but that doesn’t mean you’re always going to get it. This was also reported on F1-insider too.

I think you’ll find it wasn’t Eddie Jordan who said that ‘life goes on’ after Senna died, it was Bernie Ecclestone

He was shocked and sad like everyone else, he was the first to regain his composure and said to us ‘now stop whining – everyone is replaceable’.

It’s always sad someone leaves/retires from their game, but just as there was with Fangio, Lauda, Senna, Schumacher there’ll always be another great. (None of those were my greats just names I picked from a cast of tens of)

Message 28 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous 

Yes, I know it was Ecclestone who said that about Senna initially.

It was Jordan who repeated it in his comments this week when he said he would kick Hamilton out.

It has also appeared in other more reputable F1 sources, so I'm in no doubt he said it.

He also said I'm on the phone frequently to Ecclestone, so I have a good idea of what's going on.

Not aware that Ecclestone is privy to what's happening with contract negotiations either.

There are also others who think the contract is signed. Just not announced.

I've reached the point now where I am past caring to be honest. If he's re-signed we will know when it's officially announced by Mercedes.

Their social media team is simply posting (on a daily basis) images from last year about LH and VB.

Of course there will be another great. It will take them a long time to beat the most successful F1 driver of all time and I won't be around to see it.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 881

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Statement posted today, from Toto Wolff regarding Russell.

While some believed Russell had done enough to justify a seat with Mercedes immediately, Wolff is more cautious about things – and believes another year at Williams will be important for the youngster.

"Winning Formula 1 championships is about making the least amount of mistakes. And that only comes with routine and experience.

Mercedes expects these kind of sustainable performance levels. And that's why you need to give young drivers time.

Because as exuberant as they may be perceived after the performance that we've seen [at the Sakhir GP] from George, at the same time, young drivers will be criticised, and criticised quickly, when they make mistakes in such a high pressure environment like a top team.

That's why making experiences like in Imola, when he crashed behind the safety car and the learnings from that, are very important to form a driver that can perform at a sustainable high level."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/russell-iron-out-mistakes-mercedes-wolff/5110511/ 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 881