Did you mean: 

Formula 1 2018

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Starting a new thread (before the last one gets split again)...:smileytongue:

It is 2018, The year of the Halo... Like it or hate it, it will be implemented as part of new FIA rules

None of the 2018 cars have been revealed yet (that happens in February) but this is how it will look

Image result for Fi Mercedes cars with Halo

Most drivers' aren't keen but are having to toe the party line...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 690
689 REPLIES 689

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Alfa Romeo SAUBER C37 2018

Image may contain: car

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 41 of 690

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Front view

No automatic alt text available.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 42 of 690

Anonymous
Not applicable

Boys and their toys.. it’s not down to skill any more, it’s down to who has the best car.. 

Give me BTCC or rally any day! 

Message 43 of 690

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymouswrote:

Boys and their toys.. it’s not down to skill any more, it’s down to who has the best car.. 

Oh I like those as well @Anonymous but please don't use that old chestnut 'it's down to the car'.

The car has a lot to do with it but it's a combination of driver skill matched with the team and car. Bottas had the same car as Lewis last year...where did he come? 3rd behind Vettel after Hamilton won. Rosberg had the same car. Lewis beat him 2 seasons out of three.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 44 of 690

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriffwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Oh I like those as well @Anonymous but please don't use that old chestnut 'it's down to the car'.

The car has a lot to do with it but it's a combination of driver skill matched with the team and car. Bottas had the same car as Lewis last year...where did he come? 3rd behind Vettel after Hamilton won. Rosberg had the same car. Lewis beat him 2 seasons out of three.

So let’s stick Hamilton in a Haas F1 and see where he comes.. nowhere near the front..

The big teams get the big funding, therefore have the best cars and can afford the best training, the best pit crews, the mechanics & the people who drive them become the winners.

Yes skill is needed.. But more skill is needed to drive a slower, cheaper car and be able to keep up with the big boys.

The talent at the back of the field, is very rarely fully realised because the money stays at the front of the field.. and until the playing field is level.. we will never find out who is and who isn’t ‘the best driver’

Message 45 of 690

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymouswrote:

@Cleoriffwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

So let’s stick Hamilton in a Haas F1 and see where he comes.. nowhere near the front..

The big teams get the big funding, therefore have the best cars and can afford the best training, the best pit crews, the mechanics & the people who drive them become the winners.

Yes skill is needed.. But more skill is needed to drive a slower, cheaper car and be able to keep up with the big boys.

The talent at the back of the field, is very rarely fully realised because the money stays at the front of the field.. and until the playing field is level.. we will never find out who is and who isn’t ‘the best driver’

I also know all about that, having followed F1 since the 60's. I would also like to see a more even playing field for all teams, so those with less money aren't forced out of business.

However it is what it is. Ferrari get the lions share and always have with their handouts from 'other sources'.

The best teams get the pick of the best drivers. Thats how it's always been.

As for putting Hamilton in a Haas, I doubt anyone would win in that car so he needn't be singled out. 

He consistently outperformed his far more experienced team mate in 2007 in what was his rookie year.

So without getting into the history of F1, I repeat, it isn't just the car, it's a combination of car, driving skill and good team work

I also think there will be more than 3 'top teams' vying for the WDC this year...We have Mercedes, Ferrari Red Bull and Force India. All teams are now restricted to 3 engines per car per season. That will even the playing field just a little

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 46 of 690

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Renault has released it's RS 18 for 2018. No more releases now till Thursday when it's Mercedes and Ferrari Bouncy

Renault Has Launched Its 2018 F1 Contender - Formula 1

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 47 of 690

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Some good looking cars so far.  Let's hope the racing is as close as people are saying it is going to be.  Would be good to see McLaren back up there, but I suspect they are still going to be playing catch up.  If Renault have sorted out their reliability issues, you never know though, and it would also mean Red Bull will be serious contenders.

Thanks

Steve
Message 48 of 690

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

They interviewed Daniel Ricciardo after hs test run (and smash into the wall) at Silverstone.

He is convinced this car will not be playing catch up as they did last season. Seemed confident they will be title contenders. I hope so. As much as I support Mercedes, I do like to see close racing and not a procession.

The first race at Australia is causing a bit of confusion with timing. This is it UK time

But people are asking if this covers BST as the clocks go forward at 2am Sunday...Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 49 of 690

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

HAHA.  All this putting clocks back and forward is always confusing when somebody hasn't programmed their ... errr... program, to consider it rofl

Thanks

Steve
Message 50 of 690