Did you mean: 

Falcon Heavy Rocket Launch Successful!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey eveyone, 

Did anyone catch the launch of Elon Musk's launch of the new heavy payload Falcon rocket last night? The launch was the first test of the rocket which can carry an impressive payload of 64 tons! This is twice the capacity of existing launch vehicles. Most impressively the 3 boosters returned to earth and 2 of the 3 managed to land! Elon Musk even sent his car into orbit around the Sun laughing

stock-SpaceX-FalconHeavy-12-company.jpg

The success of the launch has a lot of potential for future space exploration due the the much heaver and larger payloads that can be sent into space in one go! 

falconheavy-RTX4RJ0W.jpg

Further reading

What do you guys think about the launch? A great step forward or was it a vanity project for a billionaire? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122369 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think it was a bit of both @Martin-O2 A vanity project and a great step forward.

It certainly was fascinating to watch.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 55

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Iron Man innit!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 55

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I watched some of it and it was fascinating it just proves if you have the money and the brains you can achieve your goals . Let’s hope that Mr Musk can help save the world with his other environmental projects etc and his cars . 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 55

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
It was definitely both a vanity project and a great step forward @Martin-O2.

As someone who loves science fiction, I've seen many things during my lifetime which were purely SF when I was a child become fact. The moon landings being a prime example. So good on Eton Musk for his contribution on taking space exploration a step further.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 5 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122369 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Of course The Guardian takes it's usual moral high ground. Reporter Nathan Robinson states the Space X Project was 'depressing and an indefensible waste of resources'

I do wish these people would stop moralising about what people do with their own money.

No one has any idea whether Elon Musk donates to charity or what other good works he may be involved in.

It's his money, he should be allowed to do what he likes with it. This atitude really makes me angry if honest. Evil

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/07/elon-musk-spacex-launch-utterly-depressing?CMP...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 55

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I quite agree. I don't think it's an ego trip at all. As said, it's his money to do with as he wishes. This could open the door for all sorts of new space travel and ventures beyond imagination for the  future generation. Good luck to him.

My begging letter is on its way....by rocket!

Message 7 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122369 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsiewrote:

I quite agree. I don't think it's an ego trip at all. As said, it's his money to do with as he wishes. This could open the door for all sorts of new space travel and ventures beyond imagination for the  future generation. Good luck to him.

My begging letter is on its way....by rocket!

LOL Well there is that saying :If you don't ask you won't get.....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 55

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Whatever people say, when they make any negative comment about how wealthy people spend their money it's pure jealousy.

As far as I'm concerned if Eton Musk wants to build a bon fire with his money, good on him. It's none of my business nor anyone else's.

It's his money, and his rocket will advance space exploration which is a good thing. Nuff said.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 9 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think sending a car up there was a bit daft when they could’ve sent something more useful. (yes I know they didn’t want to risk anything expensive) 

Was great to see the two boosters landing together, but a shame we didn’t get to see the third one plummet into the ocean after running out of fuel. That might sound a bit unsporting but watching the boosters fail / run out of fuel / fall over was what piqued my interest in the new space race!

I do think EM could be the real world Miles Dyson of Cyberdine Systems!!

Message 10 of 55