Did you mean: 

Electric Cars aka EV's

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

Does anyone drive and EV?

The reason I ask is that I am finally replacing my venerable and 12 year Astra, with a new Hyundai Ioniq fully EV car? 

What are peoples thoughts on EV's ?

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@madasaf1sh 

We have a Kuga which is a hybrid. Fuel+EV. Slightly different I know but we have been discussing EV cars. Our concern is the amount of charging points.

Not sure there are enough currently?

We know the coming Kuga range are self charging though and that would make a difference.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 15

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Don't drive or own one and not likely too either. Whilst I see the advantage of electric, I woudn't have one at this stage of development. That and living out in the country being prone to random power outages kind makes my decision obvious rofl Plus I am not convinced that a) the infrastructure is able to cope with the demand and b) cold weather concerns are an issue especially on the coast.

And the big one: mileage range is incredibly poor. I'd want a vehicle that does at least 400 miles in one go not stop and charge half way. For reference 300 miles is a typical long range journey for me plus detours/getting lost/finding parking on top. Believe me detours of 25 miles is no joke when it suddenly appears!

Then again, if your usage is well within 200 miles round trip with relatively similar roads and a cheap electric tariff and in a well built-up area with access to charging, then its probably a good thing to go for. However, don't believe the hype about zero tax because its coming as something needs to fill the tax void. 

Though depreciation is an interesting topic, the cars aren't exactly cheap compared to petrol/diesel and I'm not convinced yet of the replaceablity of battery packs so far. So if you keep it long term (8 years + for me!), the factor of thousands for replacing it within a decade is a big concern. Which is either going to make the second hand market full of cheap EV's or there will be a massive industry in battery pack replacement shops. Mileage range will drop as the recharging cycles of the batteries reach their operational life. 

Message 3 of 15

madasaf1sh
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
Since the start of the pandemic my mileage has dropped from 500miles a week to around 150miles a week, now that we now only have to spend 1 days a week minimum, and just jaunts around where i live and even the longest trip to the east coast is 100miles max.

The thing they are looking at to replace VED and Fuel Duty is go to Road Use Pricing

https://www.politics.co.uk/reference/road-pricing/ is a good read

Im looking forward to having an electric car, and doing my bit for the environment and also save a bit of money in the process. Instantly I'm saving around £200 per month..

It will be strange to move from an ICE to and EV
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good on you for taking the plunge @madasaf1sh We need more people to be bold & show the rest of the population that it's a worthwhile move.
Message 5 of 15

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Good article but scarily, more government approved devices are going to be fitted as standard. As usual, these types of research tends to be biased around cities and towns which have more issues than just traffic to contend with compared to the countryside.

I am an M6 Toll user and have little argument against tolls if they are beneficial and my choice to use it. Though given they've raised the prices again for no real reason, I may start going the longer way round and put up with the extra traffic. Sadly in Wales there's talk of putting tolls on a lot of roads which definitely won't benefit us in the North. I'll just mention the stupidity of building housing estates by established main roads then claiming speed limits need to come down due to air quality. But that's another discussion. 

Going back to the topic, is it an automatic or manual? I'm under the impression that EV's are mainly automatic because its a lot easier for the engine to deal with the immediate power output. 

Message 6 of 15

madasaf1sh
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
Hey @sheepdog

Its an automatic .

I agree, road pricing will work along with ULEZ and LEZ zones, but in the country on rural roads it will be more of a challenge.
I'd love to see them try and implement this is in the peak district, will be fun to watch.
Message 7 of 15

madasaf1sh
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
I have started a blog on my journey with my first EV and also the service with ONTO as well,

http://amorris.net

Should be an exciting and interesting wait slight_smile
Message 8 of 15

RunrigForever
  • 2079 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Will be looking at this with great interrest @madasaf1sh 

My son's company car is a hybrid

He was supposed to get a new one last Autumn

He used to drive from Leeds to Nottingham, where the Head Office is about every 7/10 days

It looks like the sites will be open soon if they are not already

Alex works from home for a global aggregates company in their Land and Mineral Resources department. He is currently living in Washington, Tyne and Wear ... his wife Emma has been using his car to get to her work as she is responsible for 6 pharmacies and does clinical work too, idk what they are planning to do. They sold Emma's car as it was more economic to have Alex drop her off then at nearby at her one place of work.

Alex has really liked the hybrid car - couldn't tell you what it is though

When he phones me, usually about every 3 weeks or so ..... before the pandemic the reception on the phone was perfectly clear is he called me on his way home from Head Office

As an aside Alex is waiting for his 2nd covid jab = a few weeks away. I am concerned he will be travelling to the sites not properly vaccinated.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 9 of 15

madasaf1sh
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
My new car is coming 3 weeks earlier now and I cant wait.

The most annoying thing so far is all the apps that I have had to download for the different charging networks just to be on the safe side.
Message 10 of 15