Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concussion in Sport Research

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Richard Dunwoody, retired jump jockey, is involved in a new research project...Concussion In Sport.

This project looks at the long term effects of repeated concussion on sports competitors. Early reports are suggesting  people involved in contact sport have an increased incidence, or suffer an earlier onset, of neuro-degenerative disorders. This could lead to Alzheimers disease

Dunwoody, who experienced a number of bad falls during his career ...is certain the concussion he sustained is the reason he now has severe memory loss.

Funding and support for the study, which will then extend to all sports in which concussion is a recognised risk, has come from a range of sources, including the Injured Jockeys' Fund, racehorse owners Godolphin, American football's NFL.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/35364444

Incidentally I have read the NFL are also carrying out similar research in the USA

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

jonsie
  • 93234 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

The Frazier fights and the rope a dope fight did for him I think. He took so many blows to the head as good as he was.

Message 11 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

On a lighter note, I think Audley Harrison gave up boxing because he was useless and more susceptible to head injury. ...

Sums up how much skill he had

Message 12 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

When the US stripped Ali of his title because he wouldn't serve in the army on religious grounds, to try to make a living he went to Japan to do exhibition matches with Japanese kick boxers. Getting kicked in the head didn't help much.

I had no idea he went to Japan to do that @Bambino? I have to say I dislike boxing (due to the head injuries they sustain).......but I loved Ali. A great boxer with a wicked sense of humour

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23073 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

Ali wasn't just a great boxer. He was a showman. He was smart. He was the best ambassador boxing ever had. A true champion. He was, and possibly still is, the most recognized person on the planet.

My dad met him once. He thought my dad was someone he knew. My dad was so dumbfounded he didn't know what to say to him.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 14 of 14