Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concussion in Sport Research

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Richard Dunwoody, retired jump jockey, is involved in a new research project...Concussion In Sport.

This project looks at the long term effects of repeated concussion on sports competitors. Early reports are suggesting  people involved in contact sport have an increased incidence, or suffer an earlier onset, of neuro-degenerative disorders. This could lead to Alzheimers disease

Dunwoody, who experienced a number of bad falls during his career ...is certain the concussion he sustained is the reason he now has severe memory loss.

Funding and support for the study, which will then extend to all sports in which concussion is a recognised risk, has come from a range of sources, including the Injured Jockeys' Fund, racehorse owners Godolphin, American football's NFL.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/35364444

Incidentally I have read the NFL are also carrying out similar research in the USA

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

This is what Will Smith's latest film is about. I haven't seen it, but apparently it's a very good performance in a very controversial film.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes it was featured in the BBC bulletin this morning Lou. Apparently the NFL decided to run a research project after being sued for millions by injured American football players...In fairness to them they did a complete turnaround and are now funding this research in other countries...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion_%282015_film%29

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 14

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Makes for interesting reading @Cleoriff
I've often wondered about the long term health implications when you see sports with repeated concussion injuries.
Surely boxing too would be under scrutiny?
Message 4 of 14

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Concussion in sport has long been a worry and sportsmen who take a head knock in this country are now tested before allowing to continue. Many have finished a game previously without recollection of events following concussion. 

Allegedly too many head knocks is the reason for Muhammed Ali's current illness with Parkison's Disease.

Message 5 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think boxing has been recognised as one of the worst sports for long term brain neurological issues @viridis

http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2015/02/boxers-brain-head-injury

Audley Harrison gave up the sport after reading head and brain injury research results.

Apparently Mohammed Ali had long term medical consultations to decide whether his sport gave him early onset Parkinsons disease.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 14

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

On a lighter note, I think Audley Harrison gave up boxing because he was useless and more susceptible to head injury. ...

Message 7 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Rugby players are currently under ongoing review as well.

However, this research project (Concussion In Sport) is slightly different. It looks for volunteers from the sports world to investigate whether they have long term neuro damage due to participation in contact sports in the past. Richard Dunwoody retired from horse racing in 1999 due to a severe neck/head injury he sustained after a fall...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

On a lighter note, I think Audley Harrison gave up boxing because he was useless and more susceptible to head injury. ...

That may have been the case @jonsie...the words I used were taken from a statement by Harrison himself...:smileywink: (It was probably his reason/excuse?)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

When the US stripped Ali of his title because he wouldn't serve in the army on religious grounds, to try to make a living he went to Japan to do exhibition matches with Japanese kick boxers. Getting kicked in the head didn't help much.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 14