Community Movie Night - Pet Sematary

TheresaV
Former Staff
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

jeshoots-com-PpYOQgsZDM4-unsplash.jpg

Hi everyone!

Welcome to our fourth official Community Movie Night! 

This month's theme was Stephen King/horror movies as suggested by our very own Mi-Amigo and tonight is finally the night - After you have been voting for three days the decision has been made for the 2019 version of Pet Sematary (why do you do this to me) as the film to watch and I hope you are ready for a sleepless night (I sure am not) upside_down

How does it work? Well, as always we will all gather here tonight at 8pm and simultaneously start watching the film. The comment section will give us the opportunity to then discuss on the who's and what's of the film whilst watching it. The film itself is readily available on Netflix, so we hope a lot of you can join but feel free to get involved even if you only have Pet Sematary on a Blu-Ray or another streaming service hugging

Otherwise, we will see you here at 8pm, with your popcorn at the ready, steady, watch!

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 118
117 REPLIES 117

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Believe it or not, I did actually @Mi-Amigo sweat_smile Although I do have to admit that I hid behind some cushions at point and ran around the flat with the lights on when it got too scary upside_down Her sister for example was a bit too next level for me joy

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 111 of 118

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122796 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I enjoyed it @gmarkj @TheresaV @Mi-Amigo 

However I do think the 1989 version was better. Having said that, in 1989, horror films by Stephen King  broke the mold in the horror genre.

Every single one was frightening.... simply because he is a master story teller AND he retained control of each and every film. He insisted on that, otherwise no-one got the rights to make a film.

Also way back in 1989 other horror films followed the slash and gore edict. Halloween, Friday 13th, Omen etc etc.

Stephen King books which were turned into films, tended to play on your mind more, building up to gut wrenching fear..

I mean what on earth could possibly be frightening about a couple taking on a job at at the Overlook Hotel with their young son? Nothing at all....joyFear

Steam Community :: :: Here's Johnny!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 112 of 118

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I watched 1922 a couple of years ago @Cleoriff and was absolutely terrified by it but I do have to agree, I tend to find older horror films a lot scarier than recent ones. Not sure why but maybe the CGI and everything makes it look a bit too unreal? I still really enjoyed Pet Sematary but I do really want to watch the original one now to compare....

Did you watch the Bates Motel series on Netflix? Highly recommend that!

signature

Message 113 of 118

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25131 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff and @TheresaV 

The first Stephen King book I read was "Dead Zone" and from then on I was hooked.

As I`ve said, my favourite Stephen King film [and book] is "Christine". I didn`t like "IT" [neither book nor film], but admit that the 1989 original "Pet Sematary" was, to me, the scariest film. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 114 of 118

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I haven't watched Christine yet @Mi-Amigo but it's on my list! I watched the first IT movie and it was scary as hell for me so I am a bit too much of a chicken to watch the second one sweat_smile

signature

Message 115 of 118

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12055 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

@TheresaV wrote:

@gmarkj wrote:
Sounds like everyone enjoyed the film then!

Did you have a chance to watch it over the weekend @gmarkj ?

No, not watched it yet @TheresaV - too busy/tired to watch much!

I have watched a few of the Stephen King adaptations. My favorites are the original version of IT and The Stand, although I did enjoy the Langoliers (many moons ago!).

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 116 of 118

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122796 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@TheresaV @Mi-Amigo 

I am a Stephen King fanatic. Went off him a bit when he went into the realms of fantasy with the Dark Towers. I have read most of his books and I like Firestarter which is a great book and often gets missed.

First book I read of his was Carrie and then moved onto Salems Lot Fear

I love/hate IT. My son bought it me for Christmas the year it was released. As I've said before I read a lot when I'm in bed and that damn book stopped me sleeping and started my absolute hatred of clowns Fear

I watched the film, hated it and would NEVER watch the new film of IT.

Currently reading The Outsider and have the follow on book... If It Bleeds....

I'm in for no sleep this week. Help

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 117 of 118

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Glad to have been able to watch it with so many members last Friday, great suggestion @Mi-Amigo. I hope we can do something like a Stephen King Movie Night Pt.2 in future so that I can watch your favourites @Cleoriff @Mi-Amigo smiling Btw @Cleoriff maybe you should mix your night up with some comedies, so that you can at least have a tiny bit of sleep joy

Oh once you watched it, let us know @gmarkj. I myself haven't actually read any Stephen King novels, so it's interesting to see the films (especially if I am too much of a chicken to watch them on my own)

signature

Message 118 of 118