cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas 2017

Anonymous
Not applicable

Received my 1st Christmas card in the post today ... it's from a cousin I havn't seen in 4 years or so ... she wrote a lovely newsy letter ... & ... gave me her phone number ... slight_smile ... I've put the card amongst my cat ornaments on the kitchen window sill ... I always put my cards up the time when I receive them

Tomorrow I shall put the Christmas tree up ... it'll be the small pink one ... the big green tree complete with fairy lights & decorations, wrapped up in the old airing cupboard is now more than I can manage christmas_tree

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Well @Anonymous I received my first Christmas card on Thursday and like you put mine up when received. The card was from my best friend who is off to Madeira next week on holiday and was being extra organised. Mine to the States and Australia went off yesterday. The UKs are still to be done.

As for decorations, Christmas cards and a Crhristmas tree on my phone are it. Being Jewish I don't really celebrate Christmas as such though I exchange cards and presents with my Christian and some Muslim friends. However, I DO NOT exchange Christmas cards with my Jewish friends nor would I expect to receive any from them.

Don't get me wrong I do enjoy the holidays but I see Christmas in the religious sense; not the present giving, card exchanging one. Even though I know Christ was not actually born on 25th December. From a strict religious point of view, Christmas decorations for me are not proper.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Glory1

My Christmas cards are written ... & ... it's nice to think of relatives & friends when I write, memories come back ... & ... it's nice to recive cards as I think of them again, some have some written news in ... I shall send the odd photo of my son Alex & his wife's wedding earlier this year

Appart from cards + small tree with lights + star on top ... = ... that's it

When my son was with me the big tree came out with sentimental ormaments on eg some from my mum many years ago & one of 'My baby's 1st Christmas'

I'm a spiritual person Gloria ... & ... as I've grown older ... & ... my son flown the nest, that side of Christmas means more to me

There are some people I use email with a Christmas picture as I don't have an address or phone number

I'll be on my own this Christmas & it won't bother me ... = ... some nice bits & pieces from M & S to 'bung in the oven', chox, & tv santa

My son & Mum like to ring me Christmas Day

Message 3 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Image result for Christmas houses w3ith lights images

Message 4 of 22

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

When I was a child and my parents were still together we celebrated Christmas and Hannukah. So I got presents for Christmas from my father and his brothers and sisters and presents from my mum and her brothers and sisters for the 8 days of Hannukah. Makes me sound a very spoiled child but I wasn't. My dad and his family made me understand the religious meaning of Christmas and my mum and her family the religious meaning of Hannukah. My dad also always reminded me that he worked hard to earn the money to pay for my presents at Christmas and on my birthday as did his brothers and sisters and my mum's brothers and sisters. My parents didn't want me to think 'money grew on trees' as was the great saying back then. And I was also taught it's not what your given that counts but that the person thought enough of you to give you a present at all.

We had a huge Christmas tree and mum, dad and I decorated it. It looked lovely with the presents underneath and Christmas wreaths on all the windows.

As an adult, living with my mum, before coming to England, no decorations were put up in our flat both of us being Jewish. But our landlords who were also friends decorated their house inside and out. Americans go in for Christmas lights, nativity scenes and all the trappings of Christmas outside their houses as well as in. The street, when I came home of an evening, looked beautiful with lights twinkling on all the houses.

As I say I love the holidays and spending time with friends. And the food and drinks, of course. And I love seeing my friends Christmas decorations - those that celebrate Christmas.

I will be spending Christmas day and Boxing day with friends but the rest of the holiday period on my own. I have so many boxsets and films to watch, and books to read, I need time to myself when there's not much on the telly.

Hope you enjoy your quiet Christmas on your own. Good food, some good films on the telly and a glass of Christmas cheer - excellent.

Message 5 of 22

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I may be a bit Bah Humbug this year (in terms of cards) I usually send and receive loads but I am thinking it's a very commercial costly exercise. It's a catch 22 really.

People like to know how we are and whats happening with us and family... so I might get cards, sign them and do a general catch up letter which I will enclose in the card....Still thinking about that one.

All presents are bought (thank you Amazon and other online retailers) joy

Another Catch 22 situation are Christmas decorations. I love them and the house is usually bedecked with lights, trees, mantle wreaths and other stuff. I always do them. Last year I was in Spain till 10th December and I had dropped hints about how nice it would be to come home to them already done. Mmmmm...came home..some were done (not to my standard) so I spent a day getting them all sorted (Hubby making usual comments that we would be paying the Electricity company their Xmas bonus's ) Rolleys

Still undecided about that one. We are out all over Christmas..so maybe not?....(But I like them...) Thinking

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 22

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I've cut down the amount of cards I send to the UK at least. It was becoming ridiculous really and expensive. Even after cutting down it's still loads. I must sit down this week and get to it.

All my presents bought and, those to the States and Australia, sent. Some to send here and the rest will be exchanged with the friends I'm spending Christmas with and those coming for Christmas dinner on the day. Some folks will still be there Boxing day because of long drive home or too much Christmas cheer 🤣

Message 7 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Image may contain: text

Message 8 of 22

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Image may contain: text

LOL

Message 9 of 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm not even sure where I will be come Christmas. There are no decorations here in the ward due to strict rules about infection control but also I tend to think due to the different ethnic beliefs of the multinational patients. 

One thing is for sure, if I'm home there will be no decorations and no cards sent. Not just because my heart is in my beloved Thailand and I love and enjoy Christmas there and especially New Year, but I can't nip to the shops, buy and write cards them pop them in the post before the post early date.

No one knows my new address so the only cards I will receive will be from my sons.

So, I will be sending greetings via the usual electronic online apps. It's all I can do unfortunately but I will be missing someone so much that this Christmas will be tinged with great sadness wondering how one second of carelessness by a stupid man changed my life forever when I was living the dream. That's now turned into my worst nightmare. 

Message 10 of 22