Did you mean: 

CES Las Vegas 2018

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

This week the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is on in Las Vegas! CES is one of the largest technology trade shows on the planet with thousands of companies in attendance and an expected 200,000 visitors this year. The trade show is used to show off a wide variety of gadgets and technology that will be hitting the shelves in the near future. 

There's a massive amount of new tech on display including 8K TV's, rollable OLED TV's, robots, VR systems and mobile handsets. 

Is anyone following CES? If so which technology has caught your eye so far? 

Further reading

CES.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
My interest is always in TVs, tablets and smartphones and particularly what Samsung is showing. Their 'wall' TV looks fantastic - not that I have the space for it, even if I could afford it 😄 I also want to learn more about 8K TVs - I mean we just got 4K TVs! Also liking the look of LGs offerings. After Samsung, their tech grabs my attention. Sony not so much.

There is some fantastic gear being shown. For me, if I could fly to Vegas it would be heaven to spend the whole time at CES.

Also hoping Samsung do give a sneak preview of the S9 and finally some idea of this foldable phone they keep hinting at.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 33

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Glory1 Yes I love a good TV so they always peak my interest. The flexible screens are very interesting. Has some really cool possibilities. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong someone) that 8K is what you currently get at the cinema so imagine that squished down to 40 or 50 inches!! 

I'm still on the S6 edge so the 9 must be light years ahead! Please let me know if you see anything about it! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 33

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

@Glory1 Yes I love a good TV so they always peak my interest. The flexible screens are very interesting. Has some really cool possibilities. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong someone) that 8K is what you currently get at the cinema so imagine that squished down to 40 or 50 inches!! 

I'm still on the S6 edge so the 9 must be light years ahead! Please let me know if you see anything about it! 

Wow 8K sounds fantastic but I wish they'd reduce the screen sizes for 4K and eventually 8K. 50 inches is way too too big  for my small flat I currently have a 32 inch 3D full HD smart TV which is just right. At a push maybe 40 inches but that's it. And that's another thing any new TV would have to be 3D. I've way too many 3D films I enjoy watching to go back to 2D.

As for your phone @Martin-O2 I think my S8+ is probably light years ahead of your S6, from what I know of the S6 😊. Don't know what the S9 is going to bring to the party, apart from a larger screen  Being able to stream 4K video would be nice though.

Message 4 of 33

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

(correct me if I'm wrong someone) that 8K is what you currently get at the cinema 

Nope, 4k at the moment, even IMAX, 8k is still a few years away from being a standard, mainly due to lack of 8k recording equipment. I think there's 2 RED cameras and a small handful of others that do it, at the moment they are used but down sampled.

Message 5 of 33

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:
Being able to stream 4K video would be nice though.

Yeah, it is nice, it will be nice when the rest catch up with Sony.😉

Message 6 of 33

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

@Glory1 wrote:

There you go @Glory1 you need Sony technology but the S7 will probably catch up as @viridis wishes....though Apple could be light years away 😂

Message 7 of 33

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@viridis wrote:

@Glory1 wrote:

There you go @Glory1 you need Sony technology but the S7 will probably catch up as @viridis wishes....though Apple could be light years away 😂

Yeah @jonsie Samsung will catch up I'm sure. As for Apple I think you're being kind. I don't expect they will ever catch up. By the time Apple have 4K streaming, if they ever do, Sony and Samsung technology will have moved way ahead again. At the moment Sony leads the way, Samsung follows and Apple, well they're not even in the same universe. Tbh it's why I've never understood the rush to get the latest iPhone. It's certainly not for Apple's innovative technology - there isn't any. I mean the supposed innovations of the iPhone X were already done on Samsung's S8 and S8+, followed by the Note8 Don't know

Message 8 of 33

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I love having the company of a fellow(?) night-owl @Glory1 

I've got the tin hats and barricades prepared for the barrage of the outraged special people 😂😂

Message 9 of 33

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I love having the company of a fellow(?) night-owl @Glory1 

I've got the tin hats and barricades prepared for the barrage of the outraged special people 😂😂

I love this time of the night       @jonsie everyone is asleep (apart from you and me), there's little traffic on the roads and no planes overhead - absolute bliss. You will always find me up until at least 04:00 and lately it's been 08:00 before I've gone to bed. So any time you want to chat......

Glad to hear you're prepared for the fury of the 'outraged special people'. I do love your turn of phrase LOL They will certainly be outraged at my disparaging their Holy Grail. So sad but just confirms the phrase 'more money than sense'. 

Message 10 of 33