Did you mean: 

CES Las Vegas 2018

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

This week the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is on in Las Vegas! CES is one of the largest technology trade shows on the planet with thousands of companies in attendance and an expected 200,000 visitors this year. The trade show is used to show off a wide variety of gadgets and technology that will be hitting the shelves in the near future. 

There's a massive amount of new tech on display including 8K TV's, rollable OLED TV's, robots, VR systems and mobile handsets. 

Is anyone following CES? If so which technology has caught your eye so far? 

Further reading

CES.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Now now, can we not upset them, they get a bit delicate when defending the thousand pound emoji machine.
Message 11 of 33

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Not sure the reporter of that article is an Apple fan either (after reading this comment)..

"With Apple hiding itself away in Cupertino, CES is Samsung's big opportunity to steal the smartphone limelight for a change".

So not to worry. Tinfoil hats not required...joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 33

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Now now, can we not upset them, they get a bit delicate when defending the thousand pound emoji machine.

LOL

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 13 of 33

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Glory1 I was actually looking at the S8 the other day. Getting the itch for a new phone! Do you have the Plus or regular 8? 

@viridis OK so we're not quite there yet. I would imagine 8K in the home is a while off considering 4K's not main stream yet. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 14 of 33

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Well actually there's more options in the home for 8k than in cinemas, mostly gaming monitors and displays with pro-sumer grade cameras hitting 6k now.
Message 15 of 33

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I have the S8 plus @Martin-O2 as I wanted the larger screen. I stream a lot on my mobile so the bigger the screen the better. Also viewing my games on the bigger screen (in full screen) is way better as well. But that's just me. I think whether you choose the standard or the plus, the S8 is a great phone. But I have to admit that if my old Note 4 hadn't been so knackered, and I could have hung on a few months longer, I would have gone for the Note 8.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 16 of 33

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@viridis We just have to wait for the content creators to catch up then! 

@Glory1 Nice I was leaning towards the Plus for the bigger screen. I think I'll get another few months out of my S6 but I knackered the battery by using the wrong charger so it drains super quick which can get annoying. 

signature

Message 17 of 33

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
If you want a bigger screen then the Note 8 would be even better than the S8+?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 18 of 33

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@gmarkj I haven't had a proper good at the Note 8 yet! I'm definitely a Galaxy S fanboy but could be swayed by the Note 8! 

signature

Message 19 of 33

Fellwalker
Level 9: Fired up
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I wish I was there, but it is so far, so expensive and I'd be surprised if I saw more than a tenth of what was on show.  Maybe one day, but without SWMBO who would utterly hate it.

I was astounded when I looked at the web site to find an enormous list of new launches, mostly not covered in the tech press. https://www.ces.tech/Media/New-Product-Launches

I'm in the market for a new laptop, and fancied a 2-in-1 but they are so small and underpowered.  Imagine my delight to read these:

grin Dell announces new XPS 15 2-in-1, the most powerful and smallest of its kind, boasts serious horsepower with 8th Gen Intel® Core™ processor with Radeon™ RX Vega M graphics . Also covered here.

grin  HP’s updated Spectre x360 15 is one of the first laptops to get Intel’s new AMD-powered chips.  Also covere here.

smile  Not quite big enough perhaps is the 14 inch Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga (2018).

dog Who wouldn't want an Aibo, Sony's dog re-worked and re-released.  Unfortunately, it sells for 198,000 yen, or about $1,800, along with a subscription that costs 2,980 yen ($27) a month subscription or 90,000 yen ($800) for three years.

robot Segway’s Loomo bot has a straightforward value proposition: you ride it like a hoverboard to the store, and then you hop off, load it up with cargo, and have it follow you home.

flash  One I really like the idea of is Powerspot, an emitter that allows you to use electronics nearby while getting your power wirelessly.  No more wires and plugs, no more finding the sweet spot on that powermat/Qi charging pad.

BTW, great news that Powermat has joined the Qi consortium, so before long there will only be one wireless charging at very short range technologies.

remote  Razer may have solved the "turn your phone into a laptop" problem. This is Project Linda.

I guess from that you could say that yes, I am following CES!  Bouncy

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 20 of 33