Did you mean: 

Book VS Kindle

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone!

With today being Shakespeare's day as well as a symbolic day for world literature, I thought it'd be a good opportunity to learn more about your reading habits and how much your phone or technology in general is involved in these. 

As I studied literature, I used to think physical books were the only legitimate way to read, and that reading on a screen could never compare. Commuting everyday with 1000+ pages novels in my handbag slowly made me reconsider my position : I now find that I read much more thanks to my kindle, and how convenient it is yahoo

The Kindle app on my iPhone is also great for a quick read inbetween other things! That being said, the smell of a fresh new book will always be something special, and I don't plan on completely stopping to extend my library anytime soon relieved

So what do you guys think, how do you go about getting through your novels and other books? Are you firm traditionals, a mix of both or do you prefer your books on a screen?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 62
61 REPLIES 61

Anonymous
Not applicable

Always a good hardback book will do for me 

Message 2 of 62

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Book.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 62

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Definitely a Kindle for me now. Transporting my library of books overseas was impracticable so they all went to the charity shop. Since back in the UK I do have a few books but my kindle has around 200 books on it and its so portable. I spend hours in ambulances and hospitals so my Kindle goes everywhere I go as I'm an avid reader. I finish a book in a couple of days then simply download another from Amazon. I like simple....

Message 4 of 62

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Kindle definitely for me now. I was a long time 'real' book reader vowing never to read an e-book. Then Amazon had a special offer on a Kindle Fire HD which was just too good to ignore. Since then I've never looked back.

About a year ago I updated my Kindle Fire to a newer model which had an expandable memory and I have hundreds of books on it from 1,000+ pages to the odd short story.

Living in a small flat, space is at a premium. There's no way I'd have room for all the books that now live on my Kindle.

Don't get me wrong I still love the smell of a new book but I just don't have the space for any more physical books.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 5 of 62

Cleoriff
  • 122371 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Definitely a book for me @EmilieT.

Despite the fact I used to travel a lot, half my suitcase was filled with books.Smiley Very Happy

I have two Kindles and they are both stored in a draw unused.

Yes, I know e-books are inexpensive compared to normal books but I'm afraid I would rather bear the cost.

Just the look, smell and feel of a newly released book is like heaven to me.

As for those I read, (unless they are particular favourites) I take them to charity shops, or give them to friends and neighbours.

I am an avid reader and can get through 2-4 books a week

A bit of an addiction I'm afraid....though there are far worse things to be addicted to...Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 62

Anonymous
Not applicable

Book 

I bought myself a Kindle for my 60th birthday & soon gave it away to a grateful friend ... books are easy to buy off Amazon new or used & like @Cleoriff I give some I've read away to my favourite charity shop which is a local cat rescue centre where I got my cat Marty from 

Message 7 of 62

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Book for me though I rarely read anything other than technical books though my retro computers collection is quite large and unread (for now) and those will never be passed on since a lot of them are largely one-off publishing runs (way too much of kickstarter addict to say no to computing history!).

Not a fan of PDF or e-readers though they have their uses. I personally and technically speaking, I find I don't remember where things are electronically and bookmarks are just hopeless for me. Yet I can flick straight to a section in a book where I know the info is. Post-it notes and old receipts make excellent bookmarks 🙂

Message 8 of 62

Cleoriff
  • 122371 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@sheepdogYour statement here ....

I find I don't remember where things are electronically and bookmarks are just hopeless for me. Yet I can flick straight to a section in a book where I know the info is. Post-it notes and old receipts make excellent bookmarks 🙂

My sentiments exactly LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 62

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@sheepdog the majority of books I read are novels. When I finish reading for the night I close the book on the next page to read. So I really don't have to remember where I am in a book, as I'm always where I left off.

Reading manuals may well be different, I wouldn't know.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 10 of 62