Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Andy Murray

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Sadly Andy Murray has announced in tears that he is retiring. A big thank you to him for the many joyous moments he has given us. He made you proud to be a Brit! He will make his exit after Wimbledon.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/1064366/Andy-Murray-Australian-Open-retirement-claim

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

It's possible he may not make it to Wimbledon, apparently. Poor chap was in tears when making his announcement on TV.

He will certainly be missed and I'm not aware of any Brit that can take his place, which is a great shame.

I'm not a Brit but wstched his first Wimbledon win with tears in my eyes  I was so proud. And it was the same for his second win. 

I will certainly miss him and wish him well for the future.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @jonsie for putting up the 2 links

Very sad to read ... Andy Murray has held high GB's expectations & realisations in world tennis for so long

A legend ... I shall miss him ... always a gutsy player

Message 4 of 21

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Sad to hear that it is injury rather than choice that he is retiring.
Rather amused to see though that the first link was dated 28 Dec - admittedly don't watch a lot of news but completely missed this one!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I knew he was struggling to get back to full health. His last tournament  showed that.

Very sad news. I will miss him.

BBC News explains more about his excruciating pain to his hip even after surgery. I have just watched the very emotional press conference he gave. Apparently there is a chance of more surgery, though no guarantee he could return after that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46833018

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 21

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

Just watched the press conference, very emotional.

My heart goes out to you Andy Murray and thank you for all the Tennis enjoyment you have provided us with.

Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Was never a fan, but gotta be tough when you plan your whole life around something, for it to fall apart through no fault of your own..
Message 8 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

For those that choose a physical sport as a career, it's very likely that their career will be ended due to injury.

I suspect he'll do a McEnroe and pop up as a pundit somewhere or take up coaching.

Message 9 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Well he's out of the Australian Open now. It went to 5 sets but he lost. So I guess that's the last we will see if him actually playing. He did say he was going for further surgery...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 21