Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A 'Timely' Experience!

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122890 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Christmas is coming ....so they tell me....

As I hate any type of Christmas shopping that involves going into shops, I have a mantra.."If it can't be bought online...it doesn't get bought'...(It works for me....usually) Cat

Last night at 22.15, in an effort to kick off my present buying I went into the Carphone Warehouse online site

I purchased, without problem a Samsung Gear watch......(or so I thought)....

I received the email order acknowledgement and went to bed happy (thinking as you do...that was another present bought) wink

This morning, I received a text from my bank asking if I had attempted a purchase for £249..If Yes I was to press Y and they 'would unblock my card'....I pressed Y..and had another text back saying 'we have now unblocked your card.Please re-order the item'....

No problem I thought, this bank is putting into place good security measures.....

So I went in and filled in all the purchase details again...time consuming...but hey?.. However, before I pressed buy now..I rang CPW (I wanted to make sure I didn't buy 2 watches) Evil

Lovely guy on the phone...Assured me he would cancel the first order and stay on the phone till the second order was cleared...

He waited....and waited...and waited (as did I).....

The second transaction did not go through.... Shocked

I rang my bank ...enraged...

Apparently my text did NOT unblock my card immediately as promised. Bank CS had to go through to their Fraud Dept and get them manually to unblock it...

Here is the 'joke' of all this easy online ordering malarky

For the THIRD time I needed to re-order this watch...which I did...and then ring CPW again to check that the 3rd transaction had gone through...Rolleys

Eureka ...it has been processed apparently...and I am assured by CPW...I should get this watch tomorrow.....

Will I get one watch or three...?? We will see...Rolleys

Moral to this tale.... Online shopping aint all it is cracked up to be...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff My bank has an online page where I can log from/to dates when I'm out of the country.

Was your transaction covered by the "Verified" system ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 11 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 122890 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@Cleoriff My bank has an online page where I can log from/to dates when I'm out of the country.

Was your transaction covered by the "Verified" system ?

It is covered by Verified by Visa. Nationwide is the building society in question and I have had NO problems with them in the past. Their fraud system is brilliant normally. I honestly think it was 'blocked' because I used it last in Spain 6 days ago...(I have 3 cards) ....added to that I 'bought' the watch at 22.30pm....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 58

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Using the card in two different countries in a short period of time is obviously what triggered the alert. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 13 of 58

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff coincidentally that is the bank I'm referring to and my wife and I have had 2 completely different experiences with them.

1. An iPhone 5 was bought online using my wife's card in Canada, the transaction was successful without any intervention by Visa or Nationwide. Even though she has never been to Canada and the PIN wasn't used Visa/Nationwide processed the transaction but refunded my wife's account.

2. My card was used for a substantial deposit on a bespoke bathroom which Nationwide blocked then phoned me to verify if I had made the transaction.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 14 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 122890 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Using the card in two different countries in a short period of time is obviously what triggered the alert. 

Agree...and probably with hindsight I should have used a card I hadn't used in Spain....but hindsight is a wonderful thing.... and who knew that once I was told the card had been unblocked....it actually hadn't been Smiley Frustrated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 58

MI5
  • 144287 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Hopefully only the cost of one watch will be taken from your account, too!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 58

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions
Message 17 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 122890 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Hopefully only the cost of one watch will be taken from your account, too!

That was my worry Rich...hence me checking with CPW. I was assured that only one transaction had gone through. Having so little faith I have my online banking website open...and keep refreshing the page to check Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 58

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions
Message 19 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 122890 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Having said I keep refreshing the page...I am now off to the vets with 2 cats for booster injections...

I will have to open my banking app on my phone Smiley Frustrated...oh yeah ...and use a DIFFERENT card to pay the damn vet bill...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 58