Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Body Worlds exhibition

AnnieM
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 114 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’ve seen this in the Priority prize draws. If you are at all interested in seeing what’s underneath your skin, I’d highly recommend entering the draw or buying tickets to see it. We went a couple of years ago when it was in Birmingham and it was absolutely fascinating. 

I’m aware some people don’t agree with these exhibitions and I’ve read a few articles disputing where bodies come from but I understand that they were all donated by willing participants. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I honestly think I would literally be sick seeing this. I was one of those who felt faint during biology classes at school and made an excuse to go to the toilet. I've seen more than enough of what's under my own skin to last me a lifetime open_mouth

The older ones amongst us may remember the programme Your Life in Their Hands which my dear late wife was a huge fan of, and was when I normally took the dog for a long walk.

Message 2 of 7

AnnieM
  • 114 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Probably best you avoid it then, @jonsie.

Most of the exhibits are plasticised which actually makes them look more like manufactured models but there are other types of specimen that you definitely wouldn’t like. 

Message 3 of 7

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@AnnieM Thanks for sharing this one, hadn't spotted it yet myself wink 

I went to see an exhibition called REAL BODIES sometime ago in Dublin, which looks very similar to this. I was quite anxious going in with my friend -she wanted to go more than myself-, but once inside it turned out to be fascinating. I wouldn't go through it again, but I was glad my friend made me get a ticket and walked through it! I had no idea it had been around for so long, you said you went a few years ago 😮

@jonsie I've never heard of that program, was it an inside view of human biology? I wasn't there during the biology classes that involved dissection, I cannot handle that sort of thing ... which was one of the reason I wasn't keen on the exhibition in the first place, but it was quite unique in the end 🤔

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT  Your Life In Their Hands was a long running documentary about surgery. Real life ops were shown. Needless to  say I never missed an episode. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Life_in_Their_Hands

I've obviously seen many real life bodies in my profession. thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 7

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I've wanted to go see this for ages since I saw it advertised somewhere (in the Underground I think). This is a good reminder for me, thanks @AnnieM . grin I'd find this kind of thing fascinating indeed so I'm sure I'll enjoy the exhibition. I hope it's around for some time? It tends to take me some time to actually arrange things and then do them especially if I want others to go with me, but it's on my to do list. grin

It's supposed to be quite educational as well. 

Message 6 of 7

AnnieM
  • 114 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@EmilieT: Yes! Real Bodies - that was the name of the exhibition I went to before, maybe a year or two ago, I can't remember. This is the same kind of thing from the same people.

@Marjo: It looks like this a permanent exhibition. I didn't realise that until I went seeking a website. https://bodyworlds.co.uk

Message 7 of 7