Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing a Devices Data within the family

MikePres
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I manage 4 devices on my O2 account which are basically the family phones.

When I click on the "Shared Data" link to view the devices which can share data with it brings up the 4 devices but it does not allow me to select or click any of the devices to share data.

One of the lead devices has run out of data and there is another device which has 20GB+ which I would like to share the data with but its not clear how to make this share happen.

There is the short help guide www.o2.co.uk/sharer-plans but after reading this several times Step "4. Tick the boxes of the devices you’d like to share your data allowance with. "  does not work.  There is no boxes to tick!

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@MikePres 

You can only share from the lead device, not to it.

The other devices also need to be on a specific sharer plan tariff. The standard tariff doesn't allow it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

MikePres
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks for the reply.

Any ideas how I can tell which of my families phones is the lead device ?

Sharing Phones.png

I also get the impression that I have at least 4 devices are in the sharing group but unfortunately it does not tell me which one is the lead device. 

Is it possible to make "Luke" the lead device as he hardly uses his data allowance ?

Thanks

Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@MikePres 

Yes, you can choose the lead device.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

MikePres
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks.  I've read and re-read https://www.o2.co.uk/sharer-plans and the instructions don't seem to work.

The help guide talks about ticking boxes in section 4 and there are no tick boxes to do this or indication which phone is the lead phone.

I've been spending so much time on this and it should be so much easier!

Can anyone explain how the Shared Data system works on family phones and please don't point me to this page because it does not help:

Tick Boxes.png

Thanks

Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@MikePres 

As I said in my very first reply, you need to change tariffs to sharer tariffs on the phones you want to share to.

The tariffs are specific to sharing data.

This will need to be done in store or by calling customer service.

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Currently using:
Message 6 of 11

theprovost
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

unbelievable no where does it say you can only share data from the lead phone if you have spare data on any other device it should be shareable, as usual the help on o2 is virtually useless I wonder if anyone ever trys what they say for help on this site???

Message 7 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@theprovost 

How do I share data?

You’ll need to make sure your device is on an O2 Refresh Tariff with 1GB or more data for a phone, or 3GB or more for a tablet. It doesn’t have to be a new connection. This will be your lead device.

Follow these steps to share your data:

1. Log in to My O2
  2. Select ‘View Shared Data’ underneath your allowances for the month, on your My O2 homepage.
  3. Under ‘My Devices’ on this page, you’ll see your lead device and its data allowance. You’ll also see all of the devices you can share data with.
  4. Tick the boxes of the devices you’d like to share your data allowance with.
  5. Select ‘Start sharing data’. You’ll see a confirmation message. The process usually takes 10-15 minutes, but can take up to 24 hours.

https://www.o2.co.uk/sharer-plans 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@theprovost 

A comprehensive help guide here Guide: How to Share Data on O2 

Currently using:
Message 9 of 11

theprovost
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the info I now find the reason I couldn't data share is that o2 have dropped it Regards

Message 10 of 11