Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 has blocked sim due to someone pretending to be me

Sera
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yesterday I received a call from 02 asking is my phone was lost/stolen, I responded no and it turns out someone pretending to me had called up to report it lost.

At the same time of the call I was receiving calls from a private number which when you answered no one was responding. From between 11pm and 3am I was then receiving calls from a private number every 30mins. It would only ring once so I was unable to answer the call quick enough to find out who it was. By 3am I was ratty with no sleep so I switched my phone off.

Now this morning I have no service, O2 said they have blocked my sim and will not give me any more information until the fraud team contact me. I am currently without a phone and currently need it for work.

Has anyone had a similar situation or no how long it takes for the fraud team to sort this out.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149366 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions

@Sera 

It could take weeks for fraud to investigate so I'll tag our community team to see if they can help.

@LukasB @Martin-O2 @Marjo 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 5

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thanks for notifying us @MI5 thumbsup 

Sorry to hear about what's happened @Sera . 😞 Sounds like you were already in contact with the Fraud team which is absolutely the right thing to do. I don't have any additional information on any timescales on my end I'm afraid, however I'd like to check just in case if there's anything more we can find out for you. 

I'll drop you a private message here on the forum shortly so I can get a few additional details and to discuss further.

Message 3 of 5

Tony24
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can anyone help with this problem,i have two contracts with 02, one for a dongle, one for a phone, i rang and talked to someone to cancel the dongle contract as it was no longer required, i had a great deal of trouble getting this over to the 02 responder, (very poor connection quality,and an accent i had trouble understanding),however ,after some time i felt happy that i had got over my requirment ,i was informed i would be rung back to confirm ,i assume that my request was being dealt with,some one did indeed ring again (again not very good quality and a similar accent) ,the end result of these exchanges is as follows. the dongle account is cancelled as required as far as i can tell,but my phone has been locked out of the 02 network,(it registers ,no access to network),i visited my02 website to try to find out what was going on, and discovered i have registered on my account a sum approx five times my normal monthly usage,all from the same number and registered at the same times as the calls i made to 02. I used my wifes phone to try to contact 02 to see what had happened,over a period of about an hour, we both got absolutly nowhere, again due to both of us not being able to get our message across to the respondant, and being cut off,we are now at a total loss as to what to do next,i have cancelled the direct debits on both the accounts, i am aware this wont stop any further scamming being registered to the account, and i do still owe device payments,i have been a customer for at least the last 20 years,i just dont know what else to do 

Message 4 of 5

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 9272 Posts
  • 214 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

I suggest that you go to the community homepage and start a new conversation @Tony24 ; tagging your message onto a thread that was last live more than four years ago isn't the best way to get help. 👍 

Message 5 of 5