Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number being spoofed by scammers...

GrapplingGuy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So for the last 2 months I have been receiving between 0-5 calls a day from various people saying I have called them about something to do with immigration/called them and left a missed call.

I, obviously, have not called them.

My account is secure. My device is secure. This only started after getting an eSim earlier this year. I assume someone is manipulating caller ID and making it look like my number (or so says Google).

Questions:

1) How do I stop it? Customer service basically said they cannot stop it, so do I just tolerate this forever?

2) Because a lookalike of my number is being used to scam people, does that mean my actual number will get flagged and banned/blocked/locked/idk the word? This number is also comething I use for my business and changing it would mean losing a LOT of customers.

So tired of this now... Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149731 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28523 Solutions

@GrapplingGuy 

It's very unusual for a number to be used in this way for that long, but it is a known issue that OFCOM are investigating.

Unfortunately, nothing can be done currently.

Number spoofing scams - Ofcom

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 149731 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28523 Solutions

@GrapplingGuy 

It's very unusual for a number to be used in this way for that long, but it is a known issue that OFCOM are investigating.

Unfortunately, nothing can be done currently.

Number spoofing scams - Ofcom

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 4

GrapplingGuy
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This brings sadness and mayhem to me 😞

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 149731 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28523 Solutions

It is an unfortunate situation @GrapplingGuy 

Sorry there's no more help available.

Message 4 of 4