Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to find out when my area is getting 5G

DanD
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've had a 5G phone for over a year now, at the time of upgrading, I'd been watching the towers in my area slowly creep closer to my home and work address. About a month after upgrading, all movement stopped.

Is there any way to see when this is coming to my are? I can see the live map but no predictions on when I'll be upgraded.

I'm currently paying for a 5G service which I'm not using, when other companies have towers in my area for well over a year. I've been with o2 for over 12 years, but with the current poor signal in my area and constant cutouts (I'm in London, so no excuses for being in the sticks) and lack of 5G I'm seriously looking at leaving so I can actually get 5G
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10259 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3021 Solutions
@DanD

No one will be able to tell you when 5G will be in your area, it depends on a lot of factors not just a mast.

Also you aren't paying for 5G coverage as o2 don't sell it as an add-on product, you pay for mobile coverage on 2G/3G/4G as well.

There is also no guarantee 5G will improve your signal either.

If you want to leave and move to another network, I would advise getting a PAYG sim on each network and testing out coverage and to add no network provides 5G on PAYG
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123258 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Hi @DanD 

O2 won't give out information as to when an area is getting 5G. Just a general announcement. The best thing you can do is download the My Network app and that will keep you updated.

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DanD The problem with 5G is that it has a limited range, most people will never get it. The last time I was in Redruth, Cornwall (Last year) I coudn't even get 4G (On O2 and Three mobile) Even with a full signal from the local mast

Also what can you actually really do with 5G that you can't already do with 4G? 

Message 4 of 4