cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS 9 Beta 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I installed iOS 9 Beta 3 last night. Here are a few first impressions for anyone who is interested.

Installation was slightly problematic. Once I had downloaded the .ipsw file from Apple, I restored the phone through iTunes as normal. Once it had been installed, the phone took me to the home screen but none of the apps worked. I was able to press the icons, but nothing opened up (not even settings). As a result of this I performed a hard reset and the phone went back through the setup process, and worked fine. It initially set the phone up as a new handset, so I had to restore it again via settings in order for me to be able to restore from my iCloud backup.

Once I had selected to restore the phone from an iCloud backup, I was hit with a further issue where the phone took absolutely ages to restore. I was stuck on the "estimating time remaining" screen for around 40 minutes before the progress bar kicked into life. From there it was business as usual and the phone took a couple of minutes to restore all of my apps and settings.

So, once I'd got my phone up and running I noticed that it seems quite a bit faster than Beta 1 and Beta 2. I don't know whether it actually is, but it certainly felt sharper opening, closing and using apps.

Battery life continues to be AMAZING on my 6 Plus, and Apple's claims about iOS 9 improving the battery life certainly appear to be ringing true. I still haven't used the power saver mode as, quite frankly, I've never needed to. I charge the phone each evening out of habit (and because I used to have a HTC One X which was a proper battery muncher) and it never gets down below 75% during the day, even with fairly constant usage (ie. when I'm bored in work!).

I think I will let the battery run down over the course of the next few days, just so that I can use the battery saver and see how much difference it makes when I'm down to my last 20% or so.

As you will already know, iOS 9 Beta 3 now comes with Apple Music. Honestly, I don't think that this is something which I would use all that often, but I'd be quite interested in signing up to the 3 month trial just to see what it's like. One thing I did notice is that Apple has now removed the option to turn off the "Connect" feature in Apple Music. This feature was reportedly accounting for a LOT of battery drain in iOS 8.4, and there was previously an option to turn it off in the settings menu (under 'restrictions'). I've checked and, unless I'm going blind, I can't find it any more. Hopefully this means that Apple has fixed the battery issue, so there is no need to toggle it on/off.. Fingers crossed!

I haven't come across any other issues yet, but like I said I only installed the Beta last night so haven't had a lot of chance to use the phone.

One thing I will say though - I still really dislike the new font which has been used. It might look ok on the Apple Watch, but personally I much prefer the original font.

That's it for now slight_smile

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Just installed the public beta on an old 4s (which I'm posting from now), will see how it goes! Jury's out on the new font so far!
Message 11 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was going to do the public beta on my iPad but I got as far as trying to archive and it can't be done so I gave up.
Im far to inexperienced to attempt it on my iMac or my iPhone as both of them are in constant use.
was looking forward to trying but if I can't even get the preparation done what chance do i have if anything goes wrong and I hate the beta or it messes up my iPad. I was using a windows 8 lappy as I haven't managed to switch my devices to the iMac yet ( another mess )
Message 12 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I finally got sorted I took the plunge and eldest daughter and I transferred music and photos to my iMac and synced everything up and did the archive on the iPad. I've now updates to the beta ...... Was I supposed to notice something new ?????
It does seem snappier to use but then again I've removed piles of junk and cleaned it up in the transfer to the iMac.
Message 13 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Found out why it don't look any different .... The update wasn't complete now doing that and hopefully I will see some changes after the two hours of download is complete ( really rubbish wifi )
Message 14 of 19

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
So far I'm liking it! A slight text display bug on the weather app and the My EE app squashing itself onto the left of the 4s's screen are the only ones I've found so far. The font has grown on me too!
Message 15 of 19

Mark_1980
  • 128 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Sammy_boy wrote:
...The font has grown on me too!

I'm warming to it.. Text in menus certainly looks smarter. I still can't stand the way the clock looks at the top of the screen though - the numbers seem to be spaced too far apart. But hey, if that's the only moan once the official release comes out, then I'm happy wink

I don't care what rank I am and neither should anyone else.
Message 16 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm finding I can't get the keyboard up when I'm changing pages in safari and the email is playing up it gets a sidebar stuck on the page sometimes
Message 17 of 19

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Make sure you all feed these back to Apple via the feedback app, the more users who report defects at an early stage the better change you have of them being fixed before the final version is released.

Even the very obvious ones (like the weather text cut off) will move higher up the 'to fix' list as more people log it.
Message 18 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
@PhoneChanger thanks for the reminder I did see the app but haven't yet reported
Message 19 of 19