cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorised Data Bolt-ons - Children

Anonymous
Not applicable
My son - despite various punishments, so please spare me parenting tips - regularly “buys” more data. His phone is on my contract and he has unlimited texts and calls but limited data. Taking the phone from him is an impractical option. He is a minor. Various calls to 02 have yielded no help: they say I can’t disable his phone from buying data. The data is - of course - charged to my credit card. He is not paying this for himself - directly at least. 02 don’t seem to give a chuff about this. Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@AnonymousMy suggestion is to change him to PAYG. Once he runs out that's it.

Or you could increase his tariff for more data, thats up to you. It would certainly be a cheaper option than buying more data bolt ons.

You asked for no parenting advice so I won't give it....other than say he HAS to learn to take responsibility for his own actions. Not sure of his age... but if he exceeds his limits then he should pay for it.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 18

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
You might find it cheaper to upgrade his tariff to one with more data.
Bolt ons are ridiculously expensive and are intended as an occasional add on, not a regular one.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. The point about responsibility is well-made and not alien to me: it is a constant refrain.

My (assumed) problem with PAYG would be that it will make him even less likely to text or call us if he needs to contact us in an emergency. I get cross/bored/depressed talking to 02 about this - I can’t see how it is a technical problem to stop it and it is weird they seem uninterested in a 13/14 yr old incurring credit services on someone else’s credit card.
Message 4 of 18

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Other networks provide the ability to cap contracts, but as yet, this isn't something that O2 offer, although it may be coming.
If you don't want to change tariff, you could always change to Tesco mobile (runs on O2) and you can cap additional monthly spend.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. This has crossed my mind. I am in the fortunate position that the cost is not a problem. What bugs me is the principle of him ignoring boundaries and O2 not giving a ###t. Giving him more data would be to reward: a) his inability to use it wisely; b) his inability to follow rules; c) other stuff that bugs me.

Can we uninvent phones and the internet?
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. I will look into that. I don’t really want to move but I have to say I feel 02 are massively uninterested in this problem or trying to help parents.
Message 7 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks. This has crossed my mind. I am in the fortunate position that the cost is not a problem. What bugs me is the principle of him ignoring boundaries and O2 not giving a ###t. Giving him more data would be to reward: a) his inability to use it wisely; b) his inability to follow rules; c) other stuff that bugs me.

Can we uninvent phones and the internet?

LOL Sadly not @Anonymous but it's an idea. Not sure people today could cope without mobiles though...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 18

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
tbh, I'm surprised they won't block the addition of bolt ons.
I would have thought this was something that could be done.
I wonder if a complaint would yield better results?
https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Currently using:
Message 9 of 18

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35950 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1593 Solutions

O2 offer a bolt-on, called Your Family (i think) at £6/month on one mobile, that allows up to 5 mobiles to have free calls between them (contract or payg) which means even with 0 credit on a payg, call and text is possible from any family member to any other.

Worth considering, as you decide how to move on your son's current habit, @Anonymous. 

Screenshot_20180121-225728_01.jpg

Message 10 of 18