cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Screen burn' on iPhone 5S

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all!

I went into my local O2 shop today to try and sell back my old iPhone 5S to them (I have just upgraded to the 6S) and the people in the shop informed me that the phone was suffering from 'screen burn', which turns the whites at the edge of the screen all the way around a slightly green-tinged hue.  To be honest I hadn't noticed this before, although when you look closely you can see this slight tinge.  They said it's nearly always due to having the brightness of the screen too high however as I spend nearly all of my time under fluorescent lighting and not under natural light it couldn't have been the cause.  They then offered me £100 less for the phone than the maximum amount, with an offer of just over £22.00.  My phone had a couple of dents on the edges of this, but they didn't actually seem to take that into account at all.  It was just this screen burn that brought the price offered down so much.

This may well be me being cynical, but it does seem to me that they've over-egged the problem and were looking specifically for this problem just to offer me such a low offer.  Has anyone else had this happen to them?  I've seen forum topics covering a semi-circle on one edge of the screen that is actually noticeable enough for owners themselves to complain about, but haven't yet stumbled across the same symptoms as me.  I hadn't even noticed there was a difference in hue around the edge until it was pointed out to me, although I will admit it is noticeable when you are looking for it and against a white fully backlit background. I'll try and attach a picture...

If anyone's interested, I did actually laugh at the guy in the shop until I realised he was serious.

Interested to hear people's thoughts.

Ian

IMG_3996.JPG

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's a common problem caused by the glue used to attach the screens.
Apple were replacing them FOC during warranty periods so it may be worth you talking to them directly, or just sell it on ebay.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Drop it to cex, they still give grade B prices on edge burn which is what you would get with the dents anyway.
Message 3 of 5

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
You can hardly see it. Another good place to list it is Gumtree
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 4 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Curr946 wrote:
You can hardly see it. Another good place to list it is Gumtree

Gumtree? Not in my neck of the woods....got a very bad reputation.....Fear  I expect like everything else it is area dependent though.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 5